Our Advisors and Staff
Helen Fields Powers
|Title:||Director of Integrated Student Success Technology
|Office:||Close-Hipp, Suite 102|
B.A. Psychology, Winthrop University
M.A.T. Secondary Education, Winthrop University
Hometown: Effingham, SC
About Me: I am the youngest of 8 - yes EIGHT! We are a very tight group and enjoy getting together. Neither of my parents were college educated, but they greatly valued education and instilled in me how important it was to my future. I am so grateful for their personal sacrifices that helped me succeed and achieve my dreams. My husband and I are the parents of a particularly cute dog named, Gracie. (If you stop by my office, I will be happy to show pictures.) I love to travel and enjoy singing and dancing for fun.
- Continuing Excellence Award, Division of Student Affairs and Academic Support, University of South Carolina (2016)
- Unsung Hero Award, Leadership Columbia Class, Greater Columbia Chamber of Commerce (2012)
- Exemplary Service Award, Division of Student Affairs and Academic Support, University of South Carolina (2010)
- Graduated Summa Cum Laude, Winthrop University (1995)
- Tillman Award for most consistently meeting the demands of academic excellence, Winthrop University (1995)
Favorite Quote: "Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known." -Carl Sagan
Advice to Students: As a 1st generation student, I didn't know much about how to navigate college and all the transition that came with it. I was naive and anxious and everything else you could imagine! I got through my challenges in college with the help of caring faculty, staff and other resources at my school. So my best advice is to use the resources at USC. There are so many people here who want you to succeed and so many people who are ready to help you! Don't walk around with unanswered questions or fears about what to do next---Get to know the people and resources at USC and let us HELP YOU!