Join academically talented middle and high school students, like you, from across the country for some serious fun this summer with great new courses and the return of many favorites. Have fun, meet new friends and continue your quest for knowledge as you take part in this nationally recognized, award-winning academic adventure! See a full list of 2017 courses.
The CMS Adventures Series embraces healthy living, community service and social interaction in an interactive learning environment.
- Admission and acceptance into the program is selective and courses fill quickly, so don't miss out!
- Courses are based out of USC-Columbia.
- The program starts with orientation on Sunday for all scholars and ends with a parents session on Friday at 1:00 pm.
- Scholars can enroll in one class per week.
- Class size is limited to 20 scholars per course, unless otherwise noted.
- Course fees depend on the type of enrollment. You may choose from: residential, commuter and commuter plus evening. Scholarship opportunities are also available.
To be eligible for admission to the Carolina Master Scholars Adventure Series, a student must:
- Be a rising 6th through 12th grader
- Be academically talented and gifted as established by objective means
- Attend an institution or home school accredited by an approved state or national accreditation organization, or provide objective evidence of academic success as specified in subparagraph 4 below
- Submit a completed application and an report card or official transcript from an accredited
institution subject to the following:
- Applicants attending unaccredited institutions or institutions that do not award traditional numeric grades may submit, in lieu of an official transcript, approved standardized test scores (i.e., ACT, MAP, PACT, PSAT, PLAN, SAT, STAR, or ITBS scores), or the results of a standard intelligence test administered by a licensed psychologist (at the applicant’s expense).
- Applicants who have previously attended an Adventure Series program will need to submit an updated report card / official transcript and be in good standing (i.e., no disciplinary issues) at both their institution and the Adventure Series.
- Students who participated in Duke TIP Talent Search at 4-6 or 7-8 Grades are automatically accepted into the program upon submission of an application and proof of Duke TIP Identification Number or SC Junior Scholar status and recent report card/ official transcript..
- All applicants must be covered by a valid health insurance policy during their enrollment in a Carolina Master Scholars Adventure Series course, proof of which must be provided on the standard Consent and Waiver.
- Because admission to the Adventure Series is highly competitive and limited to academically talented students, an applicant generally must meet one of the following criteria in order to be selected for admission:
- Completed applications, report card / transcripts or test scores are reviewed and evaluated holistically to determine if an applicant should be admitted to the Adventure Series.
- The University of South Carolina Carolina Master Scholars Program does not discriminate
in educational or employment opportunities or decisions for qualified persons on the
basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, sexual orientation
or veteran status.
- Maintain a grade point average equivalent to a 3.0 GPA.
- Score at or above the 93rd percentile nationally in reasoning ability on a standardized aptitude test or score at or above the 94th percentile nationally on a standardized achievement test or be classified as gifted and talented based on the results of a standard intelligence test.
- Applicants are encouraged to apply early. Enrollments in Adventure Series classes are limited, and applicants found to meet eligibility requirements will be offered admission on a first come, first served basis.
Choose the type of enrollment to fit your needs:
Residential – $975
Residential scholars check in Sunday afternoon and check out Friday at 2:00 PM. The program fee includes all meals (breakfast, lunch and dinner) and all afternoon and evening activities. Scholars reside in a university residence hall and experience student life at USC alongside counselors. Lab fees may also apply to some courses.
Commuter – $575
Commuting scholars check in Sunday afternoon for a mandatory orientation. Daily check-in is Monday through Friday at 8:00 AM. Daily check-out is Monday through Thursday at 4:30 PM. Friday check-out is 2:00 PM. The program fee includes lunch and all afternoon activities. Commuters are also invited to participate in Thursday evening pizza party and activities. Lab fees may also apply to some courses.
Commuter Plus Evening – $665
Commuter Plus scholars check in Sunday afternoon for a mandatory orientation. Daily
check-in is Monday through Friday at 8:00 AM. Daily check-out is Monday through Thursday
at 9:30 PM. Friday check-out is 2:00 PM. The program fee includes lunch and dinner
and all afternoon and evening activities. Lab fees may also apply to some courses.
Thanks to our campus and corporate sponsors, we are pleased that scholarships are now available for the 2017 Carolina Master Scholars Adventure Series:
Partial Scholarships for any 2017 CMS Adventures Course
Partial Scholarships in the amount of $250 for residential or $150 for commuter scholars will be awarded to students interested in enrolling in any of the 2017 CMS Adventure Series courses. These scholarships are on a first-come first-served basis to families who demonstrate need. Each student may only receive one scholarship during the 2017 summer term.
To apply for this scholarship:
- Complete and return a paper application only for the Carolina Master Scholars Adventure Series and include a copy of your most recent report card/transcript.
- Include your $200 non-refundable deposit. A scholarship award will be deducted from your total fees.
- Include your parents/guardians 2015 or 2016 Federal Income Tax Return (1040) which will provide us with your income and the number of dependents you claim. If you do not file a 2015/2016 Federal Income Tax Return (1040), please submit proof of income and include the number of your dependents that you claim.
*If you have already applied and been accepted in to a Carolina Master Scholars Adventure Series course for this summer 2017, you may still apply for a partial scholarship. Please return the completed acceptance forms that were sent to you with a copy of your 2015/2016 Federal Income Tax Return. A scholarship award will be deducted from your balance due.
Upon notification of the scholarship award, the remaining balance is due by May 22, 2017. If payment is not received by May 22, 2017 the scholarship and program slot may be offered to another student.
As additional scholarship opportunities for the 2017 CMS Adventure Series courses become available, we will update this website so please check back regularly.
If you or your business would like to get involved and sponsor the CMS Adventure Series, please email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 803-777-9444.