Skip to Content

Division of Human Resources

Workers' Compensation

If you are injured on the job, you may be eligible for workers' compensation benefits. When work-related accidents or injuries happen, employers are required by state law to make sure an injured employee is provided necessary protection and care.

In general, all employees of the University of South Carolina who are paid through the university payroll system are covered by workers' compensation. Any accidental injury or occupational disease sustained by employees in the course of performing their job duties may be covered. The State Accident Fund is South Carolina's workers' compensation insurance provider. 

When an Injury Occurs

It is important that when you are injured on the job, you immediately tell your supervisor so that medical treatment may be authorized and a Workers' Compensation claim filed. If the injury is not reported immediately, you may be denied the right to compensation. 

For all employees, four important steps must be followed to ensure compensation:

Step 1: Go to one of the designated medical facilities in your area, call 911 or proceed to the nearest emergency room and complete an Employee Injury Report [pdf]

Step 2: Have the treating physician complete a Physician's Report [pdf] and ask that all statements and reports be faxed to CompEdium Services at 877-710-2667. If your doctor says you must miss work due to the injury, complete a Workers' Compensation Benefits Election form, located at the bottom of the Employee Injury Report, stating whether you want to use annual leave and/or sick leave, or receive Workers' Compensation.

Step 3: Notify your supervisor and contact UofSC's Workers' Compensation Coordinator at 803-777-6650. Your supervisor will need to submit the Employee Injury Report along with a Supervisors Report [pdf] to the Benefits Office.

Step 4: The Benefits Office must report this injury to the S.C. Workers' Compensation Commission within 10 days.

Please refer to the Workers' Compensation Policy [pdf] for additional details, including time lost from work and required forms. 

Authorized Treatment Facilities

You must receive medical treatment for work related injuries at the medical facility designated for your campus:

USC Columbia & USC School of Medicine 
Center for Health and Well-Being
1401 Devine Street
Columbia, SC 29208

Other USC Campuses
Contact your campus Human Resource Office [pdf] for a local designated medical facility, or review these workers' compensation designated medical facilities [pdf] for an approved facility near you.

Summary of Work-Related Injuries and Illnesses

The University of South Carolina is required to complete OSHA's Form 300A which summarizes work-related Injuries and illnesses that occurred during the year. A summary for each of the system campuses may be found in the HR Toolbox