For everything from benefits enrollment to where you can and cannot park, there are a variety of things that you will want to consider during your first days and weeks with us. While some of the resources are provided simply to make you feel more comfortable and familiar with campus, there are also essential forms that must be completed and deadlines that must be met in order to keep your employment in good standing.
This checklist can serve as your step-by-step guide to ensure that you have access to all of the forms, resources, activities and timelines necessary to keep you on the right track.
Before You Arrive
- Learn about UofSC and Columbia. Schedule a tour, peruse our campus photo gallery, review our interactive campus map and explore Columbia.
- Locate acceptable documents for your Employment Eligibility Verification [pdf], and bring it with you on your first day.
- Review HR policies and procedures about time away from work, outside employment and other relevant policy information.
- Explore your benefits options.
- Look at the holiday schedule.
- Find a job for your spouse or partner through our Dual Career Employment Services.
Your First Week
- Meet with your supervisor to fill out any necessary paperwork and discuss work assignments, performance expectations and timekeeping procedures.
- Sign up for University Orientation.
- Make your benefits selections, and submit your paperwork to HR within 7 days of your start date.
- Confirm that your Visual Information Processing (VIP) account has been set up. Your VIP account will be activated once your hiring paperwork is processed. If your VIP account is not set up, check with your supervisor to confirm the status of your hiring paperwork.
- Enroll in direct deposit through VIP.
- Obtain your CarolinaCard Identification Card. Your VIP account must be activated before receiving your CarolinaCard.
- Contact Parking Services at 803-777-5160 to inquire about how to register for a parking permit. Your VIP account must be activated before receiving a parking permit. You may also want to familiarize yourself with designated parking areas and shuttle routes.
- Connect to IT Resources (network username and password, email, phone number, Blackboard, my.sc.edu, iTAMS etc.).
- Familiarize yourself with policies related to hazardous weather and emergency closings, Carolina Alert and other campus safety resources.
Your First 30 Days
- Participate in training and professional development opportunities.
- Visit the Employee Performance section of this site to learn more about your performance expectations, how to address workplace issues and what types of recognition and reward opportunities are available.
- Review policies and procedures – In addition to HR policies and procedures, please be sure to review any UofSC policies and procedures that apply to you and your position.
- Find out what's happening @UofSC.