Bonuses may be awarded to all full-time equivalent (FTE) staff, faculty and unclassified administrators, provided their base salary is less than $100,000 per year. Temporary and student employees are not eligible to receive bonus payments.
Intended to recognize significant accomplishments and unique contributions, you may consider a bonus for:
- Increased organizational productivity
- Development and/or implementation of improved work processes
- Exceptional customer service
- Realized cost savings
- Other specific contributions to the success of the University.
Employees may receive more than one bonus annually, so long as the total awarded does not exceed $3,000.
Pay for Performance
For classified staff, pay for performance salary increases may be awarded for up to 15% of an employee’s base salary, provided the increase does not place the employee’s salary above the maximum of the pay range for the position.
Three or more of the following criteria must be met, one of which must be a rating of “Successful” or above on the most recent performance appraisal within the last twelve months:
- A significant increase in service or productivity through innovation
- Demonstrated positive attitude and spirit of service and cooperation
- A substantial contribution to the goals of the unit through the performance of special assignments or the provision of exceptional customer service not previously included in performance objectives
- The attainment of a higher level of education or professional development related to the current position or recognized as being otherwise valuable to the department or division
- To correct a salary inequity or salary compression within the unit
- To address a job market salary discrepancy for the position, provided there is consistently high performance.
General Increase to Base Pay
Sometimes general increases to base pay are issued by the Legislature. The increase cannot result in an annual equivalent salary that is above the maximum salary of the pay band.
Other Salary Increases
Classified and unclassified staff who are promoted, reclassified, receive an in-band increase or have their pay band reallocated to a higher band are eligible to receive a salary increase for up to 15% of an employee’s base salary, provided the increase does not place the employee’s salary above the maximum of the new band or the maximum of the pay range in the Executive Compensation category. Salaries must be brought to the minimum of the higher pay band at the time the action becomes effective.
The 0 to 15 percent flexibility in the administration of staff salaries requires careful management attention to ensure salary decisions are based on reasons that are non-discriminatory and can be documented and defended by the responsible administrator.