Learn the ins and outs of creating a new student organization.
If you're thinking about founding a new student organization, take time to investigate other clubs to prevent duplicative organizations and make sure you understand what will be required of you as the group organizer.
Visit Garnet Gate to ensure that a group with similar interests and goals does not already exist. Ideally, any new organization will offer something new or different to interested students. If there's a already a group that's quite similar to the one you're considering, discuss your idea with the existing group to see if you can combine forces.
Get your new organization underway.
Once you've checked out Garnet Gate, the first step is the New Student Organization Intent Form. Completing this form helps us learn more about the organization you want to start
on campus and ensures that we send you the most useful resource guide. Please note
that only students at the University of South Carolina can start a student organization.
Here's what you can expect your path to be as you begin your organization:
- Complete the New Student Organization Intent Form.
- Find a faculty or staff advisor.
- Recruit 10 members.
- Create a constitution for your organization.
- Complete a Garnet Gate application.
- Await feedback from the Leadership and Service Center.
- Receive approval for new organization.
- Make sure your members accept their membership in Garnet Gate.
We can help.
Let us help you get started. Schedule a leadership coaching appointment to talk through your idea.