Students from diverse backgrounds are encouraged to apply.
What is the initiative?
The Men of Color Initiative (MoCI) connects students with each other, faculty, staff and members of the community to positively impact their college experience. Participants will:
- Develop self awareness about intersecting identities.
- Discover passions and interests that relate to social and academic goals.
- Cultivate a sense of belonging and explore organizations that can provide avenues for success, awareness and connection to USC.
- Create academic confidence that will help them throughout their college experience and expand their knowledge of career options.
- Engage in direct service to the Carolina community and meet other men of color in the area.
Each participant will work with a staff, faculty, alumni or community member to develop their understanding of diverse views of masculinity. Mentors will also help participants adjust to the college experience and identify professional goals after college.
When: Tuesdays at 5 p.m.
Where: Intersection Multicultural Lounge
8/30: Welcome, Goals and Expectations
9/13: Study Skills
9/27: Dinner Out
10/11: Academic Advising
10/25: Developing Mentors
10/19: Dinner Out
11/8: Go Abroad
11/22: Setting Up for Fellowships
12/6: Dinner Out
Past Workshop Topics
We choose workshop and discussion topics based on the interests and needs of program participants. Past topics have included:
- Leadership and Life Skill Development
- What is Masculinity?
- Addressing Campus Climate and Supportive Networks
- Service vs. Charity
- The Relationship Chronicles
- Reaching Back, Looking Forward: Service in Community
- Social Activities
- Intersecting Identity (race, religion, gender, sexuality)
- Developing Academic Success