Applications for the 2018-2019 Orientation Team are now closed.
Thank you for your application and for your interest. Be on the lookout for our next application process in September 2019.
Applying to Be an Orientation Leader
Our orientation leaders are well-informed of our resources and services, and eager to share their enthusiasm for the university with incoming students and their families. As a member of the orientation team, they arrange activities for orientation, such as group meetings and skits centered around issues that affect new students.
Expectations and Responsibilities
- Attend and actively participate in all trainings, orientation sessions and other dates of service.
- Assist with our initiatives and those of the university, including convocation, recruitment and move-in events.
- Serve as a mentor and role model to incoming students.
- Work as a team with other Orientation Leaders, Team Leaders and our professional staff.
- Participate and assist with the organization, preparation and implementation of orientation.
- Respond to student and parent questions.
- Assist advisers in enrolling new students in classes.
- Facilitate group discussions and activities.
- Perform skits, vignettes, opening and welcome to new students during Freshman Orientation sessions.
- Abide by and reinforce the Carolinian Creed, all university regulations and state laws.
- Demonstrate the ability to be reliable, responsible, helpful and flexible.
- Demonstrate the ability to work and communicate effectively with a diverse group of people.
- Show respect for others, and a willingness to appreciate others' views.
- Exhibit a desire to learn about the university.
- Serve as a mentor to incoming students.
- Gain leadership opportunities and professional experience.
- Network with university staff and fellow student leaders.
- Gain knowledge of campus resources and services.
- Free on-campus housing for Intensive Training and the duration of Summer Orientation.
- Meals during Intensive Training and Summer Orientation.
- Access to the Strom Thurmond Wellness and Fitness Center during Summer Orientation.
- University gear including orientation staff polos, name tags and t-shirts.
- Leadership stipend of approximately $2,700 (less applicable taxes).
In order to be considered for an Orientation Leader position, you must:
- be a full-time undergraduate student at the university during the 2017-2018 and 2018-2019 school years.
- have abided by all university policies and state laws while a student at the University of South Carolina.
- have and maintain good academic standing within your academic college.
- have and maintain good conduct with no outstanding judicial sanctions.
- have a 2.5 cumulative GPA (if below a 2.5, the applicant must speak with an Office of New Student Orientation staff member).
Meet Our Team Leaders
Perhaps the most influential members of the orientation staff, team leaders are responsible for a variety of tasks during orientation and heavily involved in recruitment, selection and training of orientation leaders.
Meet Our Returner Orientation Leaders
By helping to create and execute programming that engages new students, returner orientation leaders are integral to the continuing development of the New Student Orientation program.