The Ada B. Thomas Outstanding Faculty/Staff Advisor awards recognize one faculty and one staff member each year who offer quality advising to undergraduate students. If you are a full-time faculty/staff person who advises undergraduate students and are knowledgeable of academic requirements you are eligible to be nominated for this award.
Criteria for Selection
- Advisor is a full-time faculty/staff person who advises undergraduate students.
- Advisor demonstrates concern for students.
- Advisor is knowledgeable of academic requirements, alternatives and procedures.
- Advisor knows how, when and where to refer students for additional assistance.
- Advisor engages in activities to improve advising skills and to remain current with policies and procedures.
Nominations will be accepted from USC Columbia students, faculty, staff or alumni. Since this award recognizes quality advising, nominations from students are particularly welcomed. Nominees will then be contacted by the Office of the Provost and asked to submit the materials below.
Nomination forms are due to the Office of the Provost by Dec. 15, 2017.
Required Materials for Nominee's file (11 page limit)
- A resume/vita (maximum three pages) which includes advising experience
- A narrative (maximum three pages) which includes advising philosophy
- A letter (maximum two pages) from the supervisor or department head
- Letters of support (maximum three pages) from students, colleagues, alumni, etc.
Nominee's files are due to the Office of the Provost by Feb. 2, 2018. Application files are to be submitted electronically to the Office of the Provost.
Two awards will be given each year, one to a faculty member and one to a staff member. The selection committee uses the award criteria to select the winner. The winner will be announced at the spring Faculty Awards Ceremony.