Reporting to the Executive Vice President for Academic Affairs and Provost of the University, the Dean advances the teaching, research, and service missions and is responsible for providing imaginative, effective, dynamic and transformational leadership to the CoSW.
It is expected that the Dean will possess education, teaching and scholarship credentials that meet the standards for tenure and appointment at the rank of full professor in the College of Social Work.
It is strongly preferred the successful candidate possesses:
• PhD or equivalent degree;
• Demonstrated record of achieving, fostering and supporting excellence in scholarship, competitively-funded research, teaching and service;
• Commitment to academic excellence and innovation in both graduate and undergraduate education, with the ability to inspire and lead a vibrant intellectual community that values analysis and innovation, critical thought, and creative expression;
• Previous experience or familiarity with private and public fundraising;
• The management and communications skills and budget management experience necessary to administer the affairs of the College and to interact effectively with other administrative officers in the University;
• Demonstrated strong commitment to diversity and equal opportunity;
• The ability to work with external groups, including the public, alumni, donors, NGOs and agencies , to raise funds, develop partnerships, and advance the mission of the College;
• Strong abilities to lead the continued development and implementation of a dynamic vision for the future direction of the College, including skills in recruiting, retaining, and supporting outstanding faculty;
• Involvement at the national level in professional social work organizations;
• Experience as a trained social worker in academic qualifications and practice;
• Evidence of commitment to the development and support of interdisciplinary programs and activities.
Related responsibilities include:
• Providing visionary leadership in encouraging and rewarding faculty excellence in
teaching, research and service;
• Fostering academic and scholarly excellence;
• Exploring innovative approaches to enhance the educational experience of students;
• Cultivating opportunities and resources to foster doctoral student education, development, and support;
• Creating and maintaining a learning community in which students acquire the knowledge and skills necessary for success in a multicultural world;
• Contributing a leadership role in the conversation, locally and nationally, about racial and social justice in the United States;
• Managing and developing the CoSW financial resources;
• Encouraging collaboration across disciplines;
• Providing leadership for fundraising and resource development.