Source of Residency Requirements
Residency requirements are established by the South Carolina Code of Laws and Commission on Higher Education regulations. These requirements apply to all state-supported colleges and universities in South
Documents Types to Establish Intent to Become a South Carolina Resident**
- Statement of full-time employment;
- Designating SC as state of legal residence on military record;
- Possession of a valid SC driver’s license, or if a non-driver, a SC identification card. Failure to obtain this within 90 days of the establishment of the intent to become a SC resident will delay the beginning date of residency eligibility;
- Possession of a valid SC vehicle registration certificate. Failure to obtain this within 45 days of the establishment of the intent to become a SC resident will delay the beginning date of residency eligibility;
- Maintenance of domicile in SC;
- Filing SC income taxes as a resident during the past tax year, including income earned outside of SC, from the date SC domicile was claimed;
- Ownership of principal residence in SC;
- Licensing for professional practice (if applicable) in SC.
**Please note that any single indicator may not be conclusive.