Established senior faculty are often a challenge to recruit because of the significant level of start-up funds required to support their research programs. Nonetheless, they are an invaluable asset to the university. These faculty are often funded by multiple grants and bring their expertise in successful grant-writing, their advanced research programs and related resources to the university. The Faculty Recruitment Incentive Program (FRIP) has been developed to help recruit highly successful funded faculty by providing additional funds towards their start-up.
The Office of the Vice President for Research is pleased to provide financial assistance to encourage and support the recruitment of grant-funded faculty to the USC-Columbia campus through FRIP. Assistance is provided according the following guidelines:
- The funding is made available by the Vice President for Research to support the start-up costs associated with hiring new faculty who are transferring existing grant support from their current institution to USC.
- The level of funding support will be determined by the Vice President for Research on a case-by-case basis, depending on the nature of grant funding being transferred to USC.
- The hiring college or school must complete the FRIP Application form (available below) and return it to the Office of the Vice President for Research for consideration.
- The Vice President for Research commitment will be paid to the college/school for a period not to exceed the funding cycle of the grant(s) at the time of transfer.
- These funds are made available to recruit new faculty with extramural funding only. FRIP does not apply to any other new hires.
FRIP applications [pdf] will be accepted on an ongoing basis. Please send completed applications to email@example.com. If you have questions about FRIP, please contact our office or call (803) 777-5458.