Programs and Activities
This month-long program is dedicated to helping sophomores adjust to their second year at the university. Over 25 events take place throughout the month, with food, fun, prizes and discussions crucial to the second year at USC. Events are designed for second-year students but are open to all students.
SophoMORE September Details
- Get a SophoMORE September punch card at any of the main events. Pick up a sophomore punch card and have it signed by an SSC staff member at each event.
- ALL students will need to swipe their Carolina Card at events, so please have it with you!
- Attend 8 events and win a free t-shirt. Attend 10 events and win a t-shirt and another great prize!
HASHTAGS: #UofSC20 OR #sophseptember17
List of Events: 9/3-9/9
Last Lecture Series. Wed. 9/6 7:00pm, Harper College
SophoMORE Welcome Back Carnival. Thurs. 9/7 1-4pm, Greene St
Football Viewing Party. Sat. 9/9 7:00pm, RHUU
List of Events: 9/10-9/16
SophoMORE Cool Down. Mon. 9/11 11am-2pm, Greene St
Healthy Carolina Farmers Market. Tues. 9/12 9:30am-1:30pm, Greene St
Get Smart About Credit Workshop. Tues. 9/12 4:25pm, SSC
Study Abroad Fair. Wed. 9/13 11am-4pm, RHUU
NSE Info Sessions. Thurs. 9/14 4pm, RHUU 348
Diversity Dialogue. Thurs. 9/14, Honors Residence Hall B111
List of Events: 9/17-9/23
Sustainability Showcase. Mon. 9/18 5-7pm, RHUU
NSE Info Sessions. Thurs. 9/18 12pm, RHUU 348
Curbside Wellness Fair. Wed. 9/20 10am-2pm, Davis Field
168 Prioritization Workshop. Wed. 9/20 4:25pm, SSC
Get Me to Degree Workshop. Wed. 9/20 5:30pm, Close-Hipp 003
JobPrep Week/Workshop. Mon-Fri. 9/19-22 1-4pm, Career Center
NSE Info Sessions. Thurs. 9/21 4:30pm, SSC
Cooking 101: Packing Lunches for Off-Campus to Campus. Thurs. 9/21 RSVP HERE by 9/19 to join the cooking fun!
List of Events: 9/24-9/30
Calm, Cool, Collect! Mon. 9/25 6-7:30pm, Center for Health & Well-Being
JobPrep Week/Workshop. Mon-Tues. 25-26 1-4pm, Career Center
NSE Info Sessions. Tues. 9/26 3pm, RHUU 203
Getting Involved Beyond the Classroom. Tues. 9/26 4pm, Legare 321
Mutual Expectations: Academic Advising. Wed. 9/27 11:40am, RHUU RSVP HERE for Mutual Expectations
Hip Hop Wednesday. Wed. 9/27 11am-2pm, Greene St
CareerFest/S.E.T. Fair. Wed. 9/27 , Columbia Convention Center
How to Pay the Bills Workshop. Thurs. 9/28 2:50pm, SSC
Service Saturday. Sat. 9/30 8:30am
OUR Workshops. Any September Workshops
Out-to-Lunch, Success Consultation, Financial Literacy Consultation
Visit the SSC for more information
For More Details on Fall 2017 Events »
There are 25+ events in this year's SophoMORE September. Look for 'Part of SophoMORE September' in the event description.
SophoMORE Warm-Up Series
In the spring semester, this series of events encourages students to “warm up” to
programs and opportunities that are beneficial in the second year of college.
Halfway There Celebration
This annual event celebrates the huge milestone reached when sophomores are halfway done with their college career. At this point, you have four semesters down and four semesters to go.
Support in the SophoMORE Year
Career Exploration in your SophoMORE Year
It is never too early to gain career related work experience. Finding a part-time job or internship can be quite a challenge. Visit the Career Center or Pre-Professional Advising for more information on how to find these opportunities and prep for an internship or job search.
Did you know that some academic units even have an internship coordinator? Check with your academic advisor to see if your college or school has one and set up an appointment to chat.
Major and Minor Exploration in your SophoMORE Year
During sophomore year, many students are deciding on an official major or changing their major. There are many resources to help.
Career Center – This office has many assessments and staff available to help you determine your area of interest.
University Advising Center – Home to Major Change Advising, advisers here can help you figure out which courses will align between majors if you are switching between colleges or schools at the university.
Academic Support in your SophoMORE Year
We want to see you succeed at the University of South Carolina — inside and outside of the classroom. The university has developed a number of resources to help students succeed academically. As a second-year student, you may be familiar with many of these already.
- The Student Success Center – Your one-stop-shop for academic success on campus, we offer many services, including Supplemental Instruction, peer tutoring, peer writing and communications, success consultations and financial literacy consultations.
- The University Advising Center – Receive tips on how to talk to your advisor or explore major change advising.
Engage in your SophoMORE Year
Even though many sophomore students move off campus or dive into other activities, it is very important to still be connected to campus. The University of South Carolina offers many opportunities for students to actively participate both on campus and in the community.
USC Connect and Graduation with Leaderships Distinction
USC Connect helps you get the most out of your Carolina education, from finding experiences to engage in, to reflecting on what that experience has meant to you. The Graduation with Leadership Distinction program is a formal distinction that honors the broader scope of achievements for students engaged within and beyond the classroom.
The Office of Undergraduate Research can help students find many opportunities to engage in undergraduate research with a focus on faculty-student mentorship.
Service-Learning and Volunteer Opportunities
Service-Learning integrates meaningful community service with academic coursework. Check out the listing of courses available from the Leadership and Service Center.
The Leadership and Service Center provides an abundance of information on ways you can be involved in the university community and the city of Columbia.
Joining a student service organization brings together like-minded students on a mission to serve those in need.
Domestic Study Away and Study Abroad
Participating in Domestic Study Away, such as the National Student Exchange or international Study Abroad, is a great way to broaden your horizons and have the experience of a lifetime.
Peer Leadership is a wonderful way to give back to your fellow students, serve in a leadership role, and gain transferable skills for the real world. There are nearly 60 peer leader groups on campus, from tutors to recruitment counselors.
Check out the USC Connect database for a complete list »
Living Off Campus in the SophoMORE Year
Many students move into off-campus apartment complexes during the second year at Carolina!
- Off-Campus Student Services can help students find the places that best fits their needs, provide tips and advice on being a good neighbor, and help you figure out your rights as a tenant.
- Student Legal Services can help you review your lease
- Make an appointment in the Student Success Center to meet with a Financial Literacy Consultant to learn how to make a monthly budget and pay your bills on time!
- Healthy Carolina can help you learn how to prepare meals, grocery shop, and find healthy ways to distress!
Month by Month Roadmap
We are happy to provide a guide with important reminders and tips for success in your
Follow the Roadmap »
The SophoMORE Initiative is committed to:
- Helping sophomore students feel connected and welcomed at USC
- Engaging sophomore students in academic success and integrative learning activities
- Supporting and celebrating sophomore progress toward degree completion in four years
- Providing events specifically for sophomore students to promote connection with major and future career opportunities
- Encouraging sophomore students to engage in high-impact practices through USC Connect and explore the option of Graduation with Leadership Distinction
- Helping faculty and staff understand the sophomore student population and how to best assist them