Registration is currently closed for 2017 sessions. Students can sign up for more information after the College Welcome during orientation, at the resource fair, or at the SSC Open House.
What is the program?
This non-credit, six-day program reviews fundamental concepts and introduces college-level study strategies and skills critical to academic success in MATH 115/122/141/142 and other first-year courses.
Lectures and sessions are delivered by a USC faculty and tutor in an online format. ALEKS, a customized learning system, and Blackboard are used to supplement course lectures and provide customized support for each student.
What to Expect
- Daily 1 1/2 hour pre-calculus lectures with math faculty
- Access to ALEKS, an individualized assessment that identifies personal growth areas
- Daily 1 hour group study session (in the form of Supplemental Instruction/Tutoring by a Student Success Center Peer Tutor)
- Instructor office hours
- Pre- and post-assessments through ALEKS
- Drop-in tutoring each night for students
- Attend and participate in daily online calculus lectures and study sessions
- Complete online ALEKS assignments
- Complete pre- and post-assessments
- Complete participation survey
- Re-take the Math Placement Exam
The fee covers the cost of instructor-led lectures, support of peer leaders and unique access to ALEKS (during the session and for up to six weeks after.)
- Explore concepts that faculty have identified as problematic for students learning calculus
- Gain an understanding of college-level techniques and skills, including the integration of “what to study” with ”how to study” at USC
- Develop relationships with students, staff and faculty before the first day of class, including a Student Success Center Peer Tutor who has been successful at USC
- Improve scores at the completion of the CPR Program by re-taking the Math Placement Exam
CPR focuses on concepts that have been identified by USC faculty and past participants as problematic for students:
- Exponents and polynomials
- Lines and systems
- Functions and graphs
- Rational expressions
- Radical expressions
- Exponentials and logarithms