Technology Information for New Students
Welcome to USC! A wealth of technology resources and services are available to you.
Below is a technology checklist to make sure you have everything you need for the
Quick Technology Checklist
- A computer is highly recommended, but not required. We support Macs, Windows, and Linux. If
you bring it, we can support it.
- Apple and Dell offers student discounts on computer purchases.
- To get education pricing at Apple, take your CarolinaCard with you to any Apple Store
or go to the Apple Education Store online.
- When purchasing a computer from Dell, go to the university’s membership page at Dell. The USC membership number -US126277047 - is needed to get discounts.
- Microsoft Office 365 is available for free for as long as you are a student at the University of South Carolina. It includes
the latest versions of Word, Excel, PowerPoint, OneNote, and more for Mac and Windows.
You can install Office 365on up to five computers and five mobile devices. All of your work can be saved online
in OneDrive so it can be accessed from all of your devices. Click here for more information and download instructions.
- Printers are not required. If you bring a wireless printer, the wireless feature must be turned off while the printer is on campus. You can connect via USB or Bluetooth.
Not bringing a printer? You can print at WEPA stations available in most residence
halls, Thomas Cooper Library, and many labs across campus.
- Before you can connect to the campus network, your computer must have current antivirus software installed and activated, and all critical operating system updates must be completed. If you do not have antivirus software, you can download Microsoft
Security Essentials for Windows or Sophos for the Mac free of charge by going to sc.edu and clicking on “Purchase computer software."
- Routers are not allowed on the campus network.
- Wireless is available in all buildings and many outdoor areas. Use the secure uscstudent wireless network.
- Your gaming system, streaming device, and smart TV can connect to either the EntertaiNET wireless network or the wired network in your residence hall.
- Blackboard is our online course management system. Your instructors will tell you if and how
they use Blackboard. You log in at sc.edu with your Network Username and password.