Getting Started with Blackboard
Becoming a Blackboard User
All students and instructors are automatically given a Blackboard account. You are also given a University email account (email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org) and this is automatically used as your email address for Blackboard. If you have questions about your USC email account, you may contact the UTS Service Desk, 803-777-1800.
Creating Courses in Blackboard: Every course offered at USC has a Blackboard course generated for it. USC departments
and organizations may also use Blackboard to share information.
Automatic Population of Courses: All courses will be created in Blackboard using information from the Registrars office prior to the start of the semester. All registered students will be given access to Blackboard and their course sites. Newly added students will be updated on a daily basis. Blackboard course rosters should not be considered official and will not reflect immediate changes.
- Important: Instructors or administrators requesting access to a Blackboard course other than their own must receive permission from the instructor of the course prior to being granted access to the course or any material contained within.
- Login to Blackboard at: http://blackboard.sc.edu
Logging into Blackboard:
- Open a Web browser. We recommend Internet Explorer 8 or later (PC) and Firefox 3.5 or later (MAC).
- Go to http://blackboard.sc.edu (no www)
- Scroll down the page until you see Login Here.
- Click the Login button on the left side of the screen or click the Login icon at the top of the Blackboard page.
- Type your USC Network Username and Password in the appropriate fields and click Login.
- If using Internet Explorer 8, you must turn on the Compatibility View option. From
the Command Bar, select Tools, select Compatibility View Settings, and then click
the Add button to add sc.edu to the list within Internet Explorer 8 for sites that
should be displayed in Compatibility View.
Note: The next page you see will be your My USC screen with "Welcome " at the top. You will see a list of all of the courses you are teaching or the courses in which you are enrolled. To get a more descriptive list of your courses, click the Courses tab at the top of the screen.
Your Blackboard Username and password are the same as your Network Username and password. For information on your Network Username and password, including how to set or reset your password, please go here.