Faculty and Staff
R. Mac Jones, Ph.D.
|Title:||Assistant Professor of English
901 Sumter Street, 618
Columbia, SC 29208
Research and/or Teaching Interests
- The American Short Story
- American gothic fiction
- Southern studies
- Politics and Literature
- Found Anew: Poetry and Prose Inspired by the South Caroliniana Library Digital Collections, University of South Carolina Press. 2015. (Co-Editor)
- “Representative Frost: Robert Frost’s Poetry in Debates in the Congressional Record” The Robert Frost Review No. 26 (2016)
- “Aspiring to Glorious Junkyard Delusion: An Interview with Mark Powell” Fiction Writers Review, April 2016
- “Replacing People and Reinforcing Family in Stephen King’s ‘The Man in the Black Suit’.” Revenant: Critical and Creative Studies of the Supernatural, Vol. 1. 1, Winter 2015.
- “Dreamy Science: An Interview with Julia Elliott” Fiction Writers Review, November 2015
- “Spade’s Pallor and the Flitcraft Parable in Dashiell Hammett’s The Maltese Falcon,” The Explicator, Volume 71, Issue 4, 2013.
- "fiction is the final draft’: Don DeLillo’s Advice to Fiction Writers," New Writing: The International Journal for the Practice and Theory of Creative Writing, Volume 10, Issue 2, 2013
- “A Dating Error in Flannery O’Connor’s ‘A Stroke of Good Fortune," ANQ: A Quarterly Journal of Short Articles, Notes and Reviews, Volume 26, Issue 3, 2013
- “Detecting Imitation: The Island in Dashiell Hammett’s ‘The Gutting of Couffignal’” 2017 CEA Conference, Hilton Head, SC
- “Not With a Bang, But With “Colors:” Earth as Memento Mori in Don DeLillo’s “Human Moments in World War III” 2016 ALA Symposium The American Short Story: An Expansion of the Genre, Savannah, GA
- Speaker at the Center Series, Lecture and Panel The South Carolina State Library’s Center for the Book, 2016.
- “Representative Frost: Robert Frost’s Poetry in Congressional Debates” 2016 MLA Convention, Austin, TX
- “Three’s the Charm: Sequencing three required courses in the BA in Liberal Studies to enhance student success,” Panel Presentation ACHE South Conference, Charleston, SC, 2016
- “Editing Literary Anthologies,” Panel Presentation Deckle Edge Literary Festival, Columbia, SC, 2016