2001-2002 Graduate Bulletin


 Graduate Index

The Graduate School

Gordon B. Smith, Associate Provost and Dean of The Graduate School
John J. Winberry, Associate Dean
Anthony Edwards, Director of Graduate Research Services
Richard B. Lawhon, Director of Instructional Development and Student Affairs
Dale Moore, Director of Graduate Admissions
Aileen Trainer, Director of the Extended Graduate Campus

The Graduate Council

    Stephen Bajjaly, Library and Information Science
    William Bates, Music
    Mark Berg, Chemistry
    Keith E. Davis, Psychology
    Betty Glad, Government and International Studies
    Lawrence Glickman, History
    JoAnne Herman, Nursing
    Judith James, English
    James Kellogg, Geological Sciences
    Nancy Lane, French and Classics
    Thomas Leatherman, Anthropology
    Jeffery Priest, USC Aiken
    Judith Prince, USC Spartanburg
    Elizabeth Ravlin, Moore School of Business
    Robert Sharpley, Mathematics
    Gordon B. Smith, Associate Provost and Dean of The Graduate School
    Kenneth Stevenson, Educational Leadership and Policies
    Vincent Van Brunt, Chemical Engineering
    Lynn Zoch, Journalism and Mass Communications

Graduate School Representatives

    Anthony Edwards
    Aileen Trainer
    John Winberry

The Graduate Studies Bulletin is the official manual of regulations and guidelines for graduate study at the University of South Carolina. Its contents are approved by the Graduate Council and supersede any conflicting information that may appear in a publication (including Web pages) of an individual program at the University. Graduate students are expected to read and adhere to the regulations of this publication throughout their matriculation at the University. Students are bound by the bulletin in effect at the time they begin or renew their enrollment in The Graduate School. Change to a later bulletin requires permission of the program and The Graduate School.


The Graduate School offers postbaccalaureate degree programs designed to give qualified men and women professional competence in specialized disciplines. It trains scholars, research specialists, teachers at all levels, and experts in various professions. Emphasis is placed on methodology as well as on mastery of defined areas of subject matter. Graduate work brings together a group of scholars actively engaged in research and thus provides a close association between students and mature investigators with a wide range of interests. While emphasizing specialization as basic to graduate work, The Graduate School encourages interdisciplinary study as a response to the great problems we face in our rapidly changing world.

The degree of Doctor of Philosophy is offered in more than 50 academic areas, while professional doctorates are offered in education, music, nursing, pharmacy, physical therapy, and public health. The University’s School of Medicine offers the degree of Doctor of Medicine, and the School of Law offers the degree of Juris Doctor.

The University offers the Master of Arts; Master of Fine Arts; Master of Science; Master of Arts in Teaching; and the Interdisciplinary Master of Arts in several disciplines. It offers professional master’s degrees (e.g., Master of Business Administration and Master of Education) in many academic units, including: hospitality, retail, and sport management; business; criminal justice; education; engineering and information technology; journalism and mass communications; liberal arts; library and information science; medicine; music; pharmacy; public health; science and mathematics; and social work. Education Specialist degrees are available in library and information science as well as education.

In addition, certificates of graduate study are offered in alcohol and drug studies, gerontology, higher education leadership, library and information science, museum management, music performance, nursing administration, advanced practice nursing, school health education, applied statistics, teaching English as a foreign language, and women’s studies.

For a complete list of degrees offered at the University, please see the table on pages 24—26.

Admission Categories

Degree-Seeking Students

Only applicants to degree programs listed on pages 24—26 may be fully admitted to The Graduate School. Applicants for degree programs are required to meet all admission standards published by The Graduate School and by the department that houses the program. When fully admitted, graduate students have all rights and privileges assigned to them by the University, including award of fellowships, assistantships, and other financial aid.

Nondegree Students

Educators and other professionals who possess at least a baccalaureate degree and have no degree objective may apply for nondegree enrollment to take courses for certification or license renewal. Nondegree students may take up to 12 credit hours with each extension of enrollment eligibility. A nondegree student who later applies to a degree program, however, may apply a maximum of only six hours of nondegree credits to that degree program–with departmental approval. Nondegree students may not receive fellowships, assistantships, or other financial aid. Normally, international students may not enroll as nondegree students.

Admission Regulations

All graduate students should be familiar with this publication’s general regulations governing admission to graduate study at the University of South Carolina. General information and assistance may be obtained from The Graduate School.

It must be emphasized that minimum requirements listed in departmental entries in this bulletin are for reference purposes and do not guarantee admission. Competition from other applicants and enrollment limitations in some programs are examples of factors that may prevent applicants from being admitted even if their submitted credentials meet the listed minimum requirements.

Admission Standards

For admission to The Graduate School, a baccalaureate or higher degree from a college or university accredited by a regional accrediting agency is normally required. Applicants’ academic records should demonstrate adequate preparation in the field in which graduate work is to be undertaken. Also required are standardized test scores, letters of recommendation, and other materials specified by the individual academic programs. The dean of The Graduate School admits applicants on the recommendation of the department or college concerned and after an appraisal of the credentials submitted.

Applicants whose educational preparation is equivalent to that represented by a baccalaureate degree and who have sufficient maturity to undertake advanced study may be admitted after submitting their credentials, including appropriate test scores, for review by the dean of The Graduate School.

Note: Individual programs may have special application requirements in addition to those of The Graduate School. These requirements range from personal interviews to statements of purpose and employment histories to auditions and portfolios. Applicants should consult the appropriate college or department to learn what these requirements are. However, all materials must be submitted directly to The Graduate School to ensure that they are included in the applicant’s file.

Change of Academic Objectives

Students are admitted to graduate study for the specific purpose defined in the letter of acceptance from The Graduate School. When students fulfill that purpose, they are required to submit a new application and be accepted in order to pursue further study. For example, a student completing a master’s degree program must reapply for admission to:

take additional courses without a degree objective

pursue a second master’s degree

work toward a more advanced degree (specialist or doctorate).

Similarly, students who desire to change their objectives after admission, including changes in their major or degree sought, must follow procedures established by The Graduate School and available online. Fees may apply to any of these transactions.

Valid Period of Admission

An offer of admission to The Graduate School generally must be accepted and followed by enrollment within one year unless a shorter period is specified by a particular program. Unless a delayed enrollment has been approved by the program and The Graduate School, a student who fails to enroll within this 12-month period will be required to pay a new transaction fee and reapply to The Graduate School. In addition, the student becomes subject to any new admission requirements and to regulations of the Graduate Studies Bulletin in effect at the time of readmission.

After enrollment, students are expected to make satisfactory and timely progress towards their degrees. Following three years of nonenrollment (less in some programs) in USC graduate courses, the graduate admission of students enrolled in degree programs or the enrollment eligibility of nondegree students becomes invalid. Degree-seeking students must reapply and fulfill current admission requirements if they wish to continue graduate study. Upon readmission, such students become subject to regulations in the current Graduate Studies Bulletin and of the program to which they are admitted. Nondegree students must also reapply, and they too become subject to regulations in the bulletin in effect at the time of their re-enrollment.

The University reserves the right to decline admission to applicants, to suspend students, or to require the withdrawal of students when, for any reason, such action is deemed to be in the interest of the University.

Applying to The Graduate School

Applying to a Degree Program

The most convenient and secure way to apply for admission to a degree program is to complete the online application on the World Wide Web. Applicants should go to the homepage of The Graduate School at www.gradschool.sc.edu and click on "Admission," or go directly to the application at web.csd.sc.edu/app/grad. There are also links to the application from the homepage of the University of South Carolina (www.sc.edu) and from the homepages of several departments and colleges. Complete instructions precede the online form. If you prefer to receive a paper application packet, call The Graduate School at 803-777-4243 or write to The Graduate School, University of South Carolina, Columbia, SC 29208 or to the college or department in which admission is sought.

Completed application forms and all supporting documents must be sent to The Graduate School. An application cannot be given final consideration until all required credentials have been received and the application fee is paid. Therefore, applicants are advised to arrange for the transmittal of all documents well ahead of the application deadlines specified for respective programs. All correspondence should include the applicant’s Social Security number. International applicants will be issued student identification numbers at the time of application.

Applying for Nondegree Enrollment

All applications for nondegree enrollment must be made to The Graduate School. The online application at web.csd.sc.edu/app/grad is the most convenient and secure way to apply. Complete instructions precede the online form. If you prefer to receive a paper application packet, write to: The Graduate School, University of South Carolina, Columbia, SC 29208.

Application Fee

A nonrefundable application fee of $40 is required of all first-time applicants. An additional fee of $15 is charged when changing program or degree intent. A nonrefundable enrollment fee of $350 is required of all students who are not U.S. citizens or permanent residents of the United States.

Application Deadlines

Fall semester: July 1 (Note: Applicants seeking financial aid for the fall term should apply no later than March 1. )

Spring semester: November 15

May session: April 1

First summer session: May 1

Second summer session: June 1

Some programs have established earlier deadlines or admit students only in specified terms (see table, pages 24—26). Applications received after announced deadlines may not be reviewed in time for admission for the desired term. Applications should be completed at the earliest possible date, because programs may close applications prior to the announced deadline if available spaces have been filled.

Application Requirements

For Admission to Degree Programs

1. A signed and dated application, with all requested information supplied.

2. An official transcript showing all college-level course work attempted and the award of the baccalaureate or higher degree by an accredited college or university. Official transcripts verifying all previous college-level course work are required for the University’s records. To be considered official, transcripts must be sent directly from the institution to The Graduate School or delivered in a sealed envelope bearing a registrar’s stamp.

3. At least two letters of recommendation.

4. Test scores. Most programs require a report of scores achieved on either the GRE or the Miller Analogies Test. Programs in business administration may require scores achieved on the GMAT. The table on pages 24—26 lists specific degree offerings and test(s) required. Applications for the GRE and the GMAT can be obtained from The Graduate School or from the Educational Testing Service, Box 955, Princeton, NJ 08540. Applicants from western states should write the Educational Testing Service, 1947 Center Street, Berkeley, CA 94704. Applications for the Miller Analogies Test may be obtained from the Psychological Corporation, 555 Academic Court, San Antonio, TX 78204.

5. International applicants whose native language is not English are also required to submit a satisfactory score on the TOEFL exam. The minimum acceptable score is 230 (computer-based) or 570 (paper-based), but many programs have set higher requirements.


For Permission to Enroll as a Nondegree Student

1. A signed and dated application, with all requested information supplied.

2. Proof of a baccalaureate or higher degree (educators may submit a copy of a valid S.C. Teaching Certificate as proof of degree).


Transient Students

Students enrolled in or admitted to graduate degree programs at other accredited institutions may seek permission to attend The Graduate School of the University of South Carolina as transient students for a limited number of hours. Students must be candidates for graduate degrees at their institutions and must have approval from the program directors and graduate deans of their institutions to take specific courses at USC that will transfer. Transient applicants must submit completed applications to The Graduate School with the nonrefundable $40 application fee. Then, upon receipt of a letter from the applicant’s graduate dean indicating good standing in a graduate program, admission for one semester can be granted. Additional enrollment is permitted only under special circumstances.

A USC graduate student seeking transient admission at another institution should present a written request, containing specific forwarding information, to The Graduate School. A letter of good standing then will be sent to the dean of the graduate school at that institution. If the student needs proof of permission to transfer a particular course, additional documentation from the student’s graduate director or program chair must accompany the request.

International Students

Graduates of international universities or colleges who have completed academic programs equivalent to an American baccalaureate degree may apply to any of the graduate degree programs listed on pages 24—26 and be fully admitted if they meet admission standards. International applicants must submit with their application an official certified transcript indicating the nature and scope of their academic training. Only international students who are interested in seeking a degree and pursuing a full course of study are considered for admission.

An applicant whose native language is not English is required to submit a minimum score of 230 (computer-based) or 570 (paper-based) on the TOEFL exam (many programs have set higher requirements). Applicants may write for details to:

Test of English as a Foreign Language

Educational Testing Service

Princeton, NJ 08540, U.S.A.


In addition, students whose native language is not English are required to take a diagnostic test in English when they arrive at the University. Students with deficiencies are provided an opportunity for further study in reading, writing, and speaking English.

International applicants are advised to contact the Educational Testing Service in Princeton, New Jersey, as soon as possible to arrange for the GRE and the TOEFL because applications frequently will not be considered until both scores have been received.

U.S. government regulations require that international applicants provide evidence of financial resources sufficient to cover the expense of one year of study, including tuition and room and board. Applicants may contact the Office of International Programs for Students (www.sc.edu/ips) to determine how much financial support must be indicated. Evidence of financial support may include graduate assistantships, scholarships, or fellowships as well as support from sponsoring agencies and personal funds. Evidence of financial support must be received in the Office of International Programs for Students before an I-20 or IAP-66 document can be issued.


In addition to meeting the regular requirements for admission, students who expect to enroll under the provisions of any of the various federal laws governing education or rehabilitation training of veterans or children of deceased or disabled veterans must be sure that they have cleared the necessary details with the Veterans Administration and have obtained the necessary documents.

Information regarding educational benefits to veterans and children of deceased or disabled veterans may be found in the "Financial Aid and Fellowships" section.

Health Requirements

The University of South Carolina requires all students born after December 31, 1956, to be immunized against, or provide proof of immunity to, measles (rubeola) and German measles (rubella). Proof of immunity and/or immunization requires documentation of one of the following:

1. two measles and one German measles (MR or MMR) shot after 1967 (not before first birthday)

2. positive serum titers (blood antibodies) to measles and German measles

3. physician-diagnosed measles illness and either shots or positive serum titer for German measles. (A history of German measles illness does not meet requirements.)

For more information, call the Immunization Office at 803-777-9511.

Disability Services

Students with disabilities are assisted through the Office of Disability Services. The professionally trained staff works toward accessibility for all University programs, services, and activities in compliance with Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973 and the Americans with Disabilities Act. Some of the services offered include orientation; priority registration; adapted housing; library access; classroom adaptations; sign-language interpreters; and academic, personal, and vocational counseling. Students with disabilities should contact the Office of Disability Services at 803-777-6742 (TDD) or 803-777-6744 for specific information about University services. When applicants receive The Graduate School’s offer of admission, they should notify the Office of Disability Services of their need for specific accommodations.

Notification of Student Rights Under FERPA

The Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) affords students certain rights with respect to their education records. They are:

1. The right to inspect and review their education records within 45 days of the day the University receives a request for access.

Students should submit written requests that identify the record(s) they wish to inspect to the registrar, dean, academic department head, or other appropriate official. The University official will make arrangements for access and notify the student of the time and place where the records may be inspected. If the records are not maintained by the University official to whom the request was submitted, that official shall advise the student of the correct official to whom the request should be addressed.

2. The right to request amendment of student education records that the student believes are inaccurate or misleading.

Students may ask the University to amend a record that they believe is inaccurate or misleading. They should write the University official responsible for the record, clearly identify the part of the record they want changed, and specify why it is inaccurate or misleading.

If the University decides not to amend the record as requested by the student, the University will notify the student of the decision and advise the student of the right to a hearing regarding the request for amendment. Additional information regarding the hearing procedures will be provided to the student with notification of the right to a hearing.

3. The right to consent to disclosures of personally identifiable information contained in the student’s education records, except to the extent that FERPA authorizes disclosure without consent.

The University of South Carolina will disclose information from a student’s education records only with the written consent of the student, except:

a. to school officials with legitimate educational interests

(A school official is a person employed by the University in an administrative, supervisory, academic or research, or support staff position; a person or company with whom the University has contracted [such as an attorney, auditor, or collection agent]; a person serving on the Board of Trustees; or a student serving on an official committee, such as a disciplinary or grievance committee, or assisting other school officials in performing their tasks. A school official has a legitimate educational interest if the official needs to review an education record in order to fulfill a professional responsibility.)

b. to officials of other institutions in which the student seeks or intends to enroll provided that the student has previously requested a release of the record

c. to authorized representatives of the U.S. Department of Education, the comptroller general of the United States, state educational authorities, organizations conducting studies for or on behalf of the University, and accrediting organizations

d. in connection with a student’s application for, and receipt of, financial aid

e. to comply with a judicial order or lawfully issued subpoena

f. to parents of dependent students as defined by the Internal Revenue Code, Section 152

g. to appropriate parties in a health or safety emergency

h. to the alleged victim of any crime of violence of the results of any disciplinary proceedings conducted by the University.

The University of South Carolina has designated the following items as directory information: a student’s name; electronic mail address; local and permanent mailing addresses and telephone numbers; semesters of attendance; enrollment status (full- or part-time); date of admission; date of graduation; school; major and minor fields of study; whether or not currently enrolled; classification (freshman, etc.); type of degree being pursued; degrees; honors; and awards received (including scholarships and fellowships); weight and height of members of athletic teams; and whether the student has participated in officially recognized activities and sports sponsored by the University.

The University may disclose any of these items without prior written consent, unless the student has submitted a written request to the Office of the University Registrar not to release directory information. Requests will be processed within 24 hours after receipt. Telephone directories are published during the summer; students eligible to enroll for the upcoming fall term will be listed in the printed directory unless the Office of the University Registrar is notified by May 31. The electronic directory is updated each weekend; requests for nondisclosure will be honored with the next update after the request is processed by the staff of the office of the University registrar.

4. The right to file a complaint with the U.S. Department of Education concerning alleged failures by the University of South Carolina to comply with the requirements of FERPA.

The name and address of the office that administers FERPA is: Family Policy Compliance Office, U.S. Department of Education, 400 Maryland Avenue SW, Washington, DC 20202-4605.

Questions concerning this law and the University’s procedures for release of academic information may be directed to the Office of the University Registrar at 803-777-5555.

Transcripts and Other Documents

All transcripts must be requested in writing from the Office of the University Registrar. A fee of $5 is charged for each transcript copy requested, unless the transcript is for use with a current application to The Graduate School.

No transcript will be issued to/for a student who is indebted to the University.

With the exception of copies made for internal University use, no copy of a student’s record will be released anywhere (including the State Department of Education) without the student’s written consent.

Graduate students who want copies of documents in their files should contact The Graduate School in person. A fee of $10 will be charged for researching and copying information from a student’s file.

Appeals Regarding University Records

To ensure that records are not inaccurate or misleading, an appropriate hearing board provides students with an opportunity to challenge the content of University records, and a procedure for requesting correction or deletion of any inaccurate, misleading, or otherwise inappropriate data contained therein. Such requests should be made through the petitions committees of the individual campuses.

Academic Regulations

All graduate students are subject to the academic regulations of both The Graduate School and the college or department in which they are enrolled.

General regulations affecting all graduate students are stated below. Details of departmental regulations and requirements may be obtained from the director of graduate studies for the desired program.

Changes in Degree Requirements and Academic Regulations

Graduate students may obtain degrees in accordance with the regulations set forth in the Graduate Studies Bulletin in force at the time of enrollment in a degree program or under subsequent regulations published while enrolled in a degree program. However, a student must choose only one specific bulletin. Graduate students in master’s and certificate programs have a period of six years, inclusive and continuous, in which to claim the rights of a specific bulletin. Doctoral students have a period of eight years. Students whose admissions lapse for three years lose the rights to previous bulletins and come under the bulletin in force when they are readmitted.

Students are advised that unforeseen circumstances may interfere with the scheduling of any given course or degree offering. Students must be prepared for such developments even if they cause the students to experience delays in fulfilling some of their academic goals or to have to modify some of those goals. The appropriate academic units will work closely with students facing such problems in an effort to resolve them with a minimum of difficulty.

Degree Requirements

Master of Arts and Master of Science

Course Requirements

For the Master of Arts and Master of Science degrees, the minimum course requirements include 30 semester hours of graduate credit, not more than six of which may be taken in course 799 (thesis preparation). The department may require master’s students to make up any deficiencies.

Candidates for master’s degrees must complete at least half of their credit requirements– exclusive of thesis credit–in courses numbered 700 or above. These courses must carry an average grade of not less than B. The remaining requirements may include courses numbered from 500 to 699–if taken for graduate credit. An average grade of B also is required for all courses included in the program of study, and any grade below C is considered a failure. In addition, the student must achieve a B average on all courses taken for graduate credit, including courses that are not part of the degree program, and must not accumulate as many as 12 credits with grades of C+ or below (see "Academic Suspension Policy" under "Academic Standards for Progression").

Foreign Language Requirements

A reading knowledge of one foreign language may be required for the Master of Arts or Master of Science degree by the department in which the student is pursuing major studies. Programs which directly involve language study may have additional language requirements.

The foreign language offered in fulfillment of degree requirements must be approved by the graduate director of the department concerned and the dean of The Graduate School. The student should make arrangements to complete foreign language requirements at the earliest opportunity. This may include enrolling in a special language reading course. In any case, students are advised to consult the chair of the appropriate foreign language department in advance of the examination. Students who wish to take this examination are required to submit formal applications to the appropriate language department at least one day (24 hours) prior to the examination. Students seeking masters degrees will be given three opportunities to pass the reading proficiency examination.

Comprehensive Examination

A comprehensive final examination in the major field of study is required for all candidates for the M.A. or M.S. degree.


A thesis is required of most graduate students seeking the Master of Arts or the Master of Science degrees; however, some programs have a non-thesis option. Selection of a topic and work on the thesis are approved and directed by a faculty committee that is approved by the department and by The Graduate School. Before beginning to work on the thesis, students should obtain and read a copy of The Graduate School’s general thesis regulations. Students also should consult The Graduate School’s homepage for deadlines for submitting final copies. After a student has received final approval of a completed thesis from an approved committee, the student should submit a clean, edited original to the dean of The Graduate School for approval. With this original, the student should submit as many additional copies as desired. The original and all copies will be bound according to The Graduate School’s policies. The original will be sent to the Thomas Cooper Library, and the copies will be returned to the student. For information about thesis binding fees, students should contact The Graduate School.

Any student who uses University facilities or confers with faculty on thesis work must be officially enrolled for at least one hour of academic credit.

Revalidation Procedure

Regular graduate students of the University desiring to revalidate an overage USC course must secure permission from the college, school, or department concerned and the dean of The Graduate School. The applicant must pay to the bursar of the University a fee of $25 per credit hour in advance of the examination for each course revalidated. The fee is not refundable once the student has appeared before an instructor for a revalidation examination. There is no procedure for revalidating credits earned at another institution.

A Second Master’s Degree from USC

In general, when a student applies for a second master’s degree from USC–such as Master of Arts following a Master of Science, or a Master of Arts following a Master of Education–the candidate must meet the requirements of the second degree in full. No more than nine semester hours from the program of study of the previous USC degree may be applied toward the second USC degree. Since departmental requirements vary considerably, students are advised to seek departmental and The Graduate School’s approval before attempting work for a second master’s degree. No more than nine semester hours (12 quarter hours) from the program of study of a master’s degree awarded by another institution may be used toward a USC master’s degree.

Professional Master’s Degrees

Unless specifically waived by The Graduate School upon recommendation of the college or department through which a professional master’s degree is offered, the general requirements for the Master of Arts and Master of Science degrees apply to all master’s degrees offered by the University. Students should be aware that additional requirements (e.g., minimum number of credits) may be set by individual programs.

Doctor of Philosophy

Admission to Program

Admission to a Ph.D. program allows a student to work toward admission to candidacy for the degree. While program admission allows a student to be classified as a degree student, admission to candidacy is attained only after satisfactory completion of an admission-to-candidacy (sometimes called qualifying) examination.

Admission to Candidacy

All recommendations for admission to candidacy for the degree of Doctor of Philosophy must be approved by the college or department concerned and by the dean of The Graduate School. Each applicant must pass a written examination or, at the discretion of the department concerned, both written and oral examinations, under the direction of the college or department in which the student wishes to pursue a doctorate. The department or college should then forward to The Graduate School a report that the student has passed the admission-to-candidacy exam. The dean of The Graduate School will review all factors concerning the application and will notify the applicant of admission to Ph.D. degree candidacy.

Some departments require the applicant to take the admission-to-candidacy examination immediately upon completion of the master’s program; in other cases, they may advise delay. In case of delay, however, students must understand that they proceed on their own responsibility and that the admission-to-candidacy procedure is to be completed at least one full academic year prior to the date on which the degree is granted.

Degree Requirements

The granting of a doctoral degree by the University of South Carolina presupposes a minimum of three full years of graduate study (or equivalent) and a minimum of 30 graduate hours of earned credit beyond the M.A. or M.S. after admission to the doctoral program. A dissertation based on original scholarly research, with credit for 12 hours of dissertation preparation, is required of all doctoral programs. The specific curriculum for the Ph.D. varies with the discipline, and students are referred to the appropriate section of this Graduate Studies Bulletin and to the graduate director of their program for that information.


The S.C. Commission on Higher Education requires that more than 50 percent of the course work for all degree programs be completed through the Columbia campus.The intent of a residency requirement is to ensure that doctoral students benefit from and contribute to the complete spectrum of educational and professional opportunities provided by the graduate faculty of a comprehensive university. When establishing residency, the student should interact with faculty and peers by regularly attending courses, conferences, and seminars and using the library and its resources to support excellence in graduate education.

The doctoral residency requirement may be satisfied only after admission to a doctoral degree program and must be fulfilled by enrollment in at least 18 graduate credit hours within a span of three consecutive semesters (excluding summers). Enrollment in a summer term is not required to maintain continuity, but credits earned during summer terms (including May Session) will count toward residency.

Graduate program faculty may establish residency requirements that exceed these minimum standards. In doing so, a graduate program faculty may exclude certain courses and credit hours from meeting the residency requirement. All additional requirements and a list of excluded courses and credit hours will be forwarded to The Graduate School and made available to doctoral students. The student’s advisory committee will certify, on the appropriate form submitted with the program of study, the time period in, and courses with which, the student satisfies the residency requirement.

Foreign Language

Foreign language requirements vary from program to program. In some programs a student may substitute competency in computer science or statistics for a reading knowledge of a foreign language. In general the language or other research tool requirements are stated in the individual program entries in this bulletin. More detailed statements may be obtained from the graduate director of each program.

With approval of the dean of The Graduate School and the department concerned, English may be accepted as a foreign language for students for whom English is not the native language.

Comprehensive Examination

Candidates must pass comprehensive examinations, both written and oral, in the chosen fields of study. These comprehensive examinations are to be conducted under the supervision of the department or college chiefly concerned. The committee for the oral examination, to be appointed by the head of the department or college concerned and approved by the dean of The Graduate School, must comprise no fewer than four members, at least one of whom must be from outside the candidate’s major department. The comprehensive examination normally is given after the candidate has completed all the courses and studies in the program of study except those in which the student may be currently registered. The comprehensive examination may not be given less than 60 days prior to the date on which the student receives the degree.


No later than five years after the candidate has taken the comprehensive examination the student must present a dissertation based on research that has been approved by a committee of professors in the major field.

During the preparation of the dissertation, any student who uses University facilities or confers with faculty about dissertation work must be officially enrolled for at least one hour of academic credit. A minimum of twelve credits in Dissertation Preparation 899 are required for all doctoral degrees.

Dissertation Examination

A dissertation must be successfully defended before an examining committee appointed by the chair of the college or department chiefly concerned and approved by the dean of The Graduate School. The committee must consist of no fewer than four members, at least one of whom must be from outside the candidate’s major department. The examination on the dissertation should be given not less than 30 days before the date on which the candidate expects to receive the degree.

Final Submission of Dissertation

At least 20 days prior to the date on which the candidate expects to receive the degree, the candidate must deposit with the dean of The Graduate School three signed copies of the completed dissertation together with an abstract.

A candidate must have the dissertation reproduced by University Microfilms (which will also publish the abstract). Any candidate who opts for a specific publication of the dissertation must submit a copy of the candidate’s contract with the publisher. For complete information about binding fees and other costs associated with submission of dissertations, students should contact The Graduate School.

Other Doctoral Degrees

Other doctoral degrees in The Graduate School, e.g., the Doctor of Education, the Doctor of Musical Arts, the Doctor of Nursing, the Doctor of Physical Therapy, and the Doctor of Public Health, are subject to the same regulations that pertain to the Doctor of Philosophy except for authorized requirements which may vary somewhat from those listed above. Information about specific requirements in these degree programs is available from the respective graduate directors.

Certificate of Graduate Study

The Certificate of Graduate Study is granted upon completion of a structured program of 18—27 semester hours of graduate courses. At least nine hours of the program must consist of required courses (all hours may be prescribed), at least half the total hours of the program of study must be in courses at the 700 level or above, and candidates must achieve a B average on all USC courses taken for graduate credit while working on the certificate. No more than six hours of C credit may be applied toward a certificate, and nine hours with grades of C+ or lower will render a student ineligible for a certificate. There is no residency requirement, but all courses must be completed within six years of the award of the certificate. Of the 18 or more credits required for completion of a Certificate of Graduate Study, at least half must be University of South Carolina courses. With the approval of the department concerned and subject to the regulations of The Graduate School, a maximum of 12 hours of transfer credit may be applied to a certificate program. Courses taken in a certificate program can be applied toward a graduate degree.

Currently there are 12 certificate programs. The certificate in alcohol and drug studies is administered by the School of Public Health. The certificates in nursing administration and advanced practice nursing are administered by the College of Nursing and are restricted to students who hold a master’s degree in nursing or who are nearing completion of a master’s degree in the USC College of Nursing. The certificate in higher education leadership is administered by the College of Education. The certificate in teaching English as a foreign language is administered by the program in linguistics. The certificate in music performance is administered by the School of Music. The certificate in museum management is administered by an interdisciplinary committee in the College of Liberal Arts. The certificate in school health education is administered by the Department of Health Promotion and Education. The certificate in library and information science is administered by the College of Library and Information Science. The certificate in applied statistics is administered by the College of Science and Mathematics. The certificate in women’s studies and certificate in gerontology are administered by the College of Liberal Arts.

Right to An Advisor

Every graduate student admitted to a degree program is entitled to an advisor. In many programs the preliminary advisor is the director of graduate studies for the academic unit concerned. Graduate students who have not been assigned an advisor should consult their directors of graduate studies for information on advisement procedures.

Students permitted to enroll as nondegree students, i.e., those who do not seek degree admission or who have not yet met all the conditions for degree admission, are not entitled to advisors but may consult their graduate directors for both specific and general information. Their enrollment privileges are subject to limitations that may not be exceeded without approval from the department and The Graduate School.

Students are urged to consult their advisors on a regular basis.

Approval of Individual Programs of Study

Every degree student must file a program of study in The Graduate School for approval by the graduate dean. A program of study is a list of courses that satisfy degree requirements, and it must be approved by the advisor, the graduate director, and the dean of The Graduate School. This formal agreement serves a number of purposes that benefit both the student and the University. It causes the student and advisor to engage in early planning with a specific goal in mind; it provides useful information for the planning of course offerings; it facilitates subsequent advisement; and it protects the student in the event of unexpected curriculum or faculty changes. Although programs of study are binding, they can be modified when conditions warrant.

Programs of study should be filed at the earliest convenient date.

Students pursuing masters degrees must have an approved program of study on file in The Graduate School by the end of their first year, or they will not be permitted to register for additional terms.

Students pursuing doctoral degrees must have an approved program of study on file in The Graduate School by the end of their second year, or they will not be permitted to register for another term.

Transfer Credit

Course work transferred for credit toward a graduate degree must be relevant to the degree and have course content and level of instruction equivalent to that offered by the University’s own graduate degree programs.

Master’s Degree Programs

Up to 12 semester hours of graduate credit with grades of B or better (or equivalent marks if a different grading system is used) may be transferred into a master’s program that requires up to 30 credit hours, 15 hours into a program that requires up to 45 hours, and 18 hours into a program requiring more than 45 hours. In no instance can transfer credit constitute more than 50 percent of the hours put forward on a Program of Study (not including thesis credit). Transfer of credits is also subject to the following restrictions:

1. The course credits must be approved by the student’s academic unit and by The Graduate School. Some academic units accept no more than six hours of graduate transfer credit.

2. The course credits must be dated within the six-year period for courses used in a master’s program or the eight-year period for courses used in a doctoral program.

3. A maximum of nine semester hours of graduate credit that is part of a prior degree program at USC or elsewhere may be applied to another USC degree program.

4. If a USC nondegree student later enters a degree program, no more than six graduate credits earned as a nondegree student may be transferred (with the approval of the unit) into that degree program.

Doctoral Degree Programs

A limited number of credits with grades of B or better may be transferred into a doctoral program if approved by the unit and by The Graduate School. The exact number of hours varies among programs, and applicants should consult the academic unit for clarification. Any transfer of credits into a doctoral program must be in accord with the following requirements:

1. Students must earn a minimum of 30 hours of graduate credits (at least 18 hours of course work and no more than 12 hours of dissertation preparation) beyond the master’s degree and after admission to a doctoral degree program.

2. More than 50 percent of the credits earned toward a doctorate must be earned from USC.

3. Doctoral students must satisfy a minimum residency requirement by earning at least 18 hours of graduate credit, excluding dissertation preparation, during three consecutive terms at USC, excluding the May and summer sessions. (Credits earned during these sessions may be applied to the minimum number of hours.)

Graduate Certificate Programs

Up to nine semester hours of graduate credit with grades of B or better may be transferred into a graduate certificate program of study. The additional restrictions placed on master’s degree transfer credits also apply to graduate certificate transfer credits.

Enrollment and Course Loads

Admission to Courses

Admission to graduate courses is always subject to departmental consent. Courses numbered 700—899 are restricted to graduate students; courses numbered 500—699 are open to upper-level undergraduate and graduate students. Graduate students registered for courses numbered 500—699 receive graduate credit. The requirements for graduate credit in courses numbered 500—699 are expected to exceed those for undergraduate credit. It is the instructor’s responsibility to delineate these differences clearly in the course syllabus. The instructor is responsible for assuring that all requirements for graduate credit are met. Graduate students may not enroll for undergraduate credit in courses numbered 500—699 without the express permission of the dean of The Graduate School.


Course prerequisites are listed to inform students about the academic background recommended for satisfactory course completion. The instructor may approve the enrollment of students who have acquired the equivalent knowledge or skills through other courses or experiences. Special permission to enroll should be requested from the instructor prior to registration.

Course Loads

A graduate student may enroll for a semester load not to exceed 15 graduate hours. Some programs limit their students to a 12-hour maximum semester load. A student with a load of nine or more hours during a fall or spring term is classified full-time for academic purposes. The maximum course load in each of the two summer sessions is six hours. May Session enrollment is part of the six-hour limit for Summer I.

A student must be enrolled for at least one credit during any semester in which thesis or dissertation progress is made and such University resources as library, computer facilities, or faculty time are used.

Course Load for Graduate Assistants

Graduate assistants carrying six or more hours for graduate credit are classified as full-time students. Graduate assistants are required to carry a minimum of six hours of graduate credit during the fall and spring terms.

Courses Outside Major Area

Students wishing to enroll in courses outside the area to which they have been admitted should do so only with expressed permission from their advisors and should seek guidance from the department sponsoring the course regarding eligibility and prerequisites. An individual who has been declined admission to a program may not continue to enroll in courses in that area without special permission of that department, even if the student has subsequently been admitted to another program.

Correspondence Credit

The University neither offers correspondence courses for graduate credit nor accepts correspondence work as applicable toward any graduate degree.

Credit by Examination

No graduate credit is offered by examination only.


Some departments do not permit auditing at the graduate level, and regularly enrolled students always are given priority over students who are auditing if space in the class is limited. Students wishing to audit graduate courses are advised to obtain permission from the appropriate department head or graduate director. No credit may be earned for an audited course by examination or any other means, and no audited course may be repeated for credit at a later date. No record of audit shall appear on a transcript unless a student attends 75 percent of the classes.

Dropping a Course

A graduate student may drop a course via the Internet (http://vip.sc.edu).

Courses dropped during the second through the sixth week of a regular semester are recorded with a nonpenalty grade of W. After the first six weeks of the semester, any courses dropped will appear on the permanent record with a grade of WF. A WF is treated as an F in the evaluation of the student’s eligibility to continue and in computing the student’s grade point average. Graduate students who stop attending a class without officially dropping it remain on the final grade roll and must be assigned a grade by the professor of record. A grade of F is appropriate, unless a higher grade has been earned, and that grade is included in all calculations and totals. In summer sessions and other shortened terms, the period for withdrawal with a grade of W will be 43 percent of the total number of class days. Students should consult the session calendar for each course in which they are enrolled for the applicable dates.

A course cannot be dropped after the last day of classes specified for the session in which the course is scheduled.

Students should consult their advisors and graduate directors regarding their future status in their respective graduate programs if they withdraw.

Dropping Courses for Extenuating Circumstances

A student who drops courses for medical reasons or other acceptable cause after the session penalty date (last day to receive a W), may petition for assignment of W by submitting a Request for Assignment of W for Extenuating Circumstances form (AS-122A) with documentation of circumstances. The petition requires the approval of the student’s graduate director, the instructor of each course, and the dean of The Graduate School. Requests to drop less than the total course load can not be approved unless accompanied by a medical recommendation specifically justifying a reduction of enrollment.

Withdrawal from All Courses

Graduate students wishing to withdraw from all courses should be aware of the ramifications of that action with respect to grades assigned, status in their programs, liability for repayment of student loans, and financial obligations to the University. The date of withdrawal affects the grades assigned (W or WF), as do valid claims of extenuating circumstances (see previous section). Form AS-122A must be approved by the graduate director and a student’s instructors prior to withdrawal. Grades assigned to students who withdraw from all courses are determined in the manner described previously in the section.

Financial Obligations to the University

Any student withdrawing within the scheduled refund period (see Master Schedule of Classes and the refund procedures section of this bulletin) can expect to receive a refund through the mail in approximately four to six weeks. If, at the time of withdrawal, the student has any financial obligations to the University, these amounts will be deducted from any refund due. Refunds for students who received and used financial aid to pay academic fees may be applied toward repayment of financial aid.

Students who have received long-term loans through the University must contact the Student Loan Accounting Office for an exit interview. Failure to participate in this exit interview may result in a hold being placed on transcripts.

Grades and Credit

Credit Values

The credit value of each course is usually equal to the number of hours the class meets each week for one regular term (fall or spring). Two or three laboratory hours (one period) are equivalent to one class meeting.

Grading System

The letter grades A, B, C, D, and F are employed to designate excellent, good, fair, poor, and failing work, respectively. The grades B+, C+, and D+ also may be recorded. Courses graded D+ or lower cannot be applied to degree programs. The letter grades S (satisfactory) and U (unsatisfactory) are assigned only in courses that have been approved for Pass-Fail grading or in a regular course where the student, with the approval of the dean of The Graduate School, has elected an individual Pass-Fail Option (see "Pass-Fail Option"). Courses completed with an S may be counted in total credits earned. Retaking a course does not delete original grade.

Grades of "I" and "NR"

The grade of I, for incomplete, is assigned at the discretion of the instructor when, in the instructor’s judgment, a student is prevented from completion of some portion of the assigned work in a course because of an unanticipated work-related responsibility, family hardship, illness, accident, or verified disability. The student should notify the instructor without delay that one of these conditions exists or has arisen. In any case, notification must be given prior to the end of the term. The instructor will determine, according to the nature of the interruption and the uncompleted requirements, what additional period of time will be allowed for completing the work before a permanent grade is assigned. An Assignment of Incomplete Grade form (AS-5) must be completed by the instructor (with copy to student) and submitted to the Office of the University Registrar. This form must specify the justification for the I, conditions for make-up, and deadline for completion. Re-enrolling in a course will not make up an incomplete grade. A grade of I is not computed in the calculation of a student’s grade point average.

There is no automatic time period for an incomplete grade. The instructor should give the student a deadline that is reasonable–up to one year after the scheduled end of the course. After 12 months an I that has still not been replaced with a letter grade is changed permanently to a grade of F, unless the I was erroneously recorded, or to the backup grade if one was indicated by the faculty member on the Assignment of Incomplete Grade form. If the professor believes there is academic justification for an extension beyond the one-year limit, a request for extension should be submitted to the dean of The Graduate School before the expiration of the year, specifying the justification and specific duration of extension requested (GS-47 form Extension of Incomplete Time Period Authorization). The Graduate School does not approve the make-up of I grades in courses which are already out of date for use on a student’s program.

The mark of NR, no record, is assigned by the Office of the University Registrar if a grade has not been submitted at the proper time or if any grade not approved for a particular course has been submitted. It is a temporary mark on the transcript and must be replaced by a grade. If replacement does not occur before the last week of the spring or fall semester following the term for which the grade was recorded, a grade of F will be assigned.

Pass-Fail Option

Under certain circumstances, a graduate student may elect Pass-Fail grading in a course if the content is outside the major area. This option permits enrichment of the student’s experience and a grade of either satisfactory (S) or unsatisfactory (U) will be awarded. Those courses completed with a satisfactory grade may be counted toward total credit hours earned. A grade of U received under the individual Pass-Fail Option in a letter-graded course will be counted as a penalty grade under the "Four C/C+ Rule." Students interested in this option should consult their faculty advisor and the dean of The Graduate School for approval prior to registration.

Grade Changes

Special make-up work, extra work, or examination to change a grade already recorded is not permitted.

Once a permanent grade for a graduate course has been recorded, any change requires the approval of the Graduate Council. If a mark of I converts to a grade of F, the instructor should submit to The Graduate School a Request for a Course Grade Change (GS-24) form with a valid justification for this change. If the mark of NR converts to the grade of F, the instructor should submit a valid end-of-term grade for the student to the Office of the University Registrar before submitting a request for a course grade change.

Grade changes based on ordinary errors (transcription, computation, etc.) do not require Graduate Council review if submitted to the graduate dean within 12 months of the original grade assignment. Requests for a grade change submitted more than a year after the assignment of a grade must be accompanied by a justification. These requests may be referred, at the graduate dean’s discretion, to the Petitions and Appeals Committee of the Graduate Council for examination and recommendation to the full Graduate Council for its disposition.

Thesis and Dissertation Courses

Courses numbered 799 or 899 in all departments are restricted to thesis preparation (variable credit, 1—9 hours) and dissertation preparation (variable credit, 1—12 hours). All doctoral candidates are required to successfully complete a minimum of 12 hours of dissertation preparation. Completion or satisfactory progress in thesis preparation or dissertation preparation will be indicated by the grade of T. Credit hours with a T grade are not considered in determining the student’s grade point average.

Academic Standards for Progression

Academic Standards

Graduate courses may be passed for degree credit with a grade as low as C, but the student’s average on all courses attempted for graduate credit during the allowed period of study (six years for master’s programs, eight years for doctoral programs) must be at least B (3.00 on a 4.00 scale). Additionally, the student’s average on all courses numbered 700 or above must be no less than 3.00. Grades earned on credits transferred from other universities do not count in the grade point average.

Academic Suspension Policy ("Four C/C+ Rule")

An accumulation of grades of C+ or lower on 12 credits of graduate course work taken at USC within a six-year period as a master’s student and eight years at the doctoral level will result in suspension from the program and disqualification for a graduate degree. Individuals in violation of this rule will not be permitted to enroll for further graduate course work even as nondegree students without the specific approval of their academic unit, The Graduate School, and the Graduate Council (see "Appeals of Academic Decisions").

This rule applies to all courses taken in USC graduate programs, whether or not they are taken as a degree-seeking or nondegree student, are included on a program of study, are within or outside a student’s area of academic concentration, and includes courses taken in two or more programs at USC. A grade of U in a pass-fail course or if the Pass-Fail Option is invoked will be considered less than a B and will be included in the calculation of the "Four C/C+ Rule." Grades below B earned by a master’s student cease to be disqualifying after six years. The same applies to a doctoral student after eight years, even though one or more of the courses carrying a grade less than B was earned as a master’s student.

Colleges and departments may impose more stringent requirements than The Graduate School’s "Four C/C+ Rule." Students should consult their advisors to ensure familiarity with departmental regulations.

Appeals for Reinstatement

Appeals for reinstatement from students who have been suspended should be reviewed first by the department and/or college and then forwarded to the dean of The Graduate School for review by the Graduate Council.

Reports of grades are not sent directly to graduate students unless requested or if the student is suspended.

Senior Privilege Enrollment in Graduate Courses

Special provision to earn up to six hours of graduate credit is available to undergraduate seniors with a minimum GPA of 3.00 who need less than a full load of courses (15 hours) in their final semester to complete baccalaureate requirements. Overload enrollment that includes one or more courses taken for graduate credit under senior privilege is not allowed. Such courses cannot be used for undergraduate degree requirements (unless the student is in an accelerated bachelor’s/master’s program). Receiving graduate credit for courses taken under this privilege does not mean acceptance into The Graduate School or into a specific degree program.

A "Senior Privilege Course Work Authorization" with the necessary endorsements must be approved by The Graduate School before the student registers for the course.

Attendance Standards

Students are expected to attend all regular class meetings. Unsatisfactory class attendance may be considered adequate reason for the instructor to request that the student withdraw from the course.

A graduate student registered for courses numbered 500—699, or for any undergraduate course for credit, is required to satisfy undergraduate attendance regulations.

Students who are auditing are expected to conform to the same attendance requirements as students registered for credit, but, in any case, must attend at least 75 percent of scheduled class meetings to receive audit credit.

Applications for Graduation

During their final academic term, all candidates for graduate degrees and certificates must file formal applications for graduation with The Graduate School. Applications must be filed by the third week of the fall or spring semester in which the degree is to be awarded, or within the first 10 days of Summer Session I if the degree is to be awarded at the end of the summer–even if the student does not plan to take courses until the second summer session. Applications submitted after the announced filing deadline will be accepted if supported by a letter from the student’s graduate director and accompanied by a late fee of $25, which increases by $25 each additional month after the deadline. Deadlines are indicated in the Master Schedule of Classes for each term. Any late application that lacks the supporting letter or late fee will be regarded as having been submitted for the following term.

Diplomas can not be awarded retroactively.

To pursue further graduate study after completion of a graduate degree, a student must submit a new application to The Graduate School, since the previous admission was specifically for the degree program from which the student was graduated.

Foreign Language Proficiency Examinations

Foreign language departments schedule the administration of any foreign language examinations required of graduate students. For the specific dates of language examinations during the fall/spring semesters and summer sessions, students should consult the appropriate language department.

Students must file an application for these tests with the appropriate language department no later than 24 hours before the examination.

Intensive reading courses in several languages are offered to prepare the student to meet the foreign language requirement. See the appropriate department section of this bulletin for specific course offerings.


The policies and regulations of The Graduate School and the graduate departments generally serve as purposeful guidelines and standards for graduate students as they pursue their degree objectives. Occasionally, individual students may feel they have grounds to seek exception from the uniform application of such regulations and policies. These students may file petitions with the academic area responsible for those standards.

The Graduate School accepts petitions for exception to regulations and policies that concern academic matters only. Petitions must carry the endorsement of the student’s program director or department chair. A petition accepted by The Graduate School is reviewed by the graduate dean, who may act on the request or refer the matter to the Graduate Council, whose decision is final. Students may contact The Graduate School for guidelines on the appropriate form and content of petitions.

Appeals of Academic Decisions

Appeals seeking to reverse or modify decisions made at a lower level of authority should be filed with, and pursued according to the established procedures of, the student’s academic unit. Students should file appeals with the graduate dean only after the internal processes for appeals and grievances have been exhausted. The Graduate School will accept appeals on academic matters only. Disagreement with a grade assigned in a course is not a basis for appeal to The Graduate School, but should be directed to the instructor. Appeals must be submitted in writing and must bear the name, student number, and signature of the appellant. Student appeals for reversal of departmental decisions are only accepted for consideration when questions such as inequitable application of regulations, bias, conflict with regulations, or extenuating circumstances are cited as grounds for appeal. Students may contact The Graduate School for guidelines on the appropriate form and content of appeals.

The graduate dean will attempt to resolve the appeals filed with The Graduate School and will refer unresolved issues to the Graduate Council, whose decisions are the final actions taken within The Graduate School. Any further appeal must be directed to the Office of the Provost.

Graduate student appeals of disciplinary decisions reached under the Rule of Academic Responsibility procedures must be made to the University Committee on Academic Responsibility.

Extended Graduate Campus

The Extended Graduate Campus office facilitates registration in graduate classes at many locations throughout South Carolina. A variety of disciplines, including the Colleges of Education, Library and Information Science, and Social Work, and the Departments of Psychology, English, and History offer courses through the Extended Graduate Campus.

Persons interested in enrolling for graduate credit in courses on a regional or four-year campus must first apply to and be admitted to a degree program or granted nondegree enrollment privileges by The Graduate School. Admitted students should seek advisement from the appropriate graduate director on the Columbia campus. An Extended Graduate Campus director at each regional or four-year campus can provide information concerning course offerings and schedules.

Graduate students attending courses on other campuses are subject to the same academic regulations and requirements as students on the Columbia campus.

Courses Offered via Telecommunications

The Office of Distance Education and Instructional Support coordinates the offering of courses by television, videocassette, and the Internet. Courses designed for independent study are delivered over local S.C. ETV channels and by video/audio cassette. Live classes are transmitted through the state’s ITFS system to viewing sites statewide and include audio interaction.

Courses are offered during fall, spring, and summer terms. The course offerings are available from the Office of Distance Education and Instructional Support.

The colleges and schools using telecommunications to deliver portions of their graduate degree programs include The Moore School of Business, the Colleges of Engineering and Information Technology, Social Work, Library and Information Science, Nursing, and the Norman J. Arnold School of Public Health. The Colleges of Education, Liberal Arts, and Science and Mathematics offer graduate courses designed specifically for educators and other professionals who do not have a degree objective but who want courses for certification or licensure purposes. Graduate programs leading to master’s degrees in business and in engineering are offered via telecommunications. For more information, students should refer to the respective sections for those colleges in this bulletin.

Students interested in enrolling in television-assisted instruction for graduate credit must be admitted through The Graduate School of the University. All courses offered through telecommunications meet the same University standards of prerequisites, sequence, etc., that are required in residence work and are subject to the same academic regulations.

For further information, contact the Office of Distance Education and Instructional Support, 803-777-7210.

Bachelor’s/Master’s Degrees Accelerated Program

Under this plan, students reduce the time necessary to earn bachelor’s and master’s degrees by applying up to nine hours of graduate credits to both undergraduate and graduate program requirements. Students accepted into this program must have at least 90 hours of undergraduate credit, a minimum overall GPA of 3.40, and at least 3.40 in the course work taken in their major field of study.

Students applying to this program must submit to The Graduate School a completed "Application for Admission to a Combined Bachelor’s/Master’s Education Plan" with endorsements. A "Senior Privilege Course Work Authorization" must be submitted for each semester in which one or more of these courses are taken.

Participation in the accelerated program does not require nor does it guarantee acceptance into The Graduate School or into a specific program of study. Students wishing to continue toward the master’s degree at USC must apply formally to The Graduate School by submitting the appropriate form and required supporting documents. Not all units have accelerated programs, and students should consult individual academic units for requirements.

Dual Degree Programs

Through special arrangement, the University offers dual degree programs in certain areas to permit a student to obtain two degrees concurrently by combining credits, resulting in the student’s taking fewer courses than the total required if each degree were pursued independently. Accepted dual degree programs include:

Public History/Library and Information Science
Business Administration/English
Business Administration/Law
Criminal Justice/Law
Economics/LawEnglish/Library and Information Science
Health Administration/Law
Human Resources/Law
International Business/Law
Nursing/Public Health
Public Administration/Law
Public Administration/Social Work
Public Health/Medicine
Public Health/Social Work
Social Work/Law

Further information about dual degree programs can be found in the respective entries of participating academic units in this bulletin.

 Graduate Degrees Offered

[Bulletin Home Page] [Graduate Bulletin Contents] [Disclaimer] [The Graduate School]

This web site updated September 2001 by Thom Harman, and copyright © 2001-2002 by the Board of Trustees of the University of South Carolina. All Rights Reserved.
URL http://www.sc.edu/bulletin/grad/GGradschool.html