A CRIME ALERT has been posted to the USC Division of Law Enforcement and Safety's website http://ow.ly/6LSUh
Type of Alert:
Assisting Other Agency (Columbia Police Department)
Date and Time:
June 17, 2012 around 2:10 a.m.
900 Block of Sumter Street (803 Hookah Bar Parking Lot)
Sex: One male
Clothing: Green shirt with white shorts
At approximately 2:10 a.m., USCPD received a report of a shooting in the parking lot outside of the 803 Hookah Bar on Sumter St. The suspect shot the victim in the leg and then immediately fled the area on foot eastbound on Pendleton St. The case is being investigated by the Columbia Police Department.
Members of the Carolina Community are encouraged to report suspicious persons or any related crime tips to law enforcement, or CRIMESTOPPERS at 1-888-CRIME-SC. To send anonymous tips via text or online, go to www.midlandscrimestoppers.com
- Travel on major sidewalks along major streets and avoid shortcuts. Well lit and well-traveled routes are best.
- The University has and encourages the use of several available shuttle services for transportation to and around campus such as the Evening Shuttle, Late Night Shuttle, APO, and others. Please go to http://www.sc.edu/vmps/shuttle.html for more information.
- Have a plan before going out. Make sure your friends know not to leave you alone or let you leave anywhere with someone other than the friends you came with. Stay in a group as much as possible.
- The best mode of travel is by vehicle but if you do choose to walk, travel in large groups and never alone. The larger the group of people you are with, the better (four or more is best).
- Be aware of your surroundings and trust your instincts. If a place or situation doesn't feel right, it probably isn't. Leave.
- If you feel unsafe or see suspicious activity or persons, seek safety in a well-populated area or building and call the police immediately by dialing 911.