A CRIME ALERT has been posted to the USC Division of Law Enforcement and Safety's website http://bit.ly/gpUqGQ
Type of Alert:
Date and Time:
Thursday, June 28, 2012 around 9:30 p.m.
Parking lot behind Byrnes Center, between Main St. and College St. (Near Hunter Gatherer restaurant)
Age: Late 20?s
Clothing: Gray jeans, white tank top
Other: Braided hair
At approximately 9:30 p.m., USCPD received a report of an armed robbery in the parking lot behind the Byrnes Center near the intersection of Main St. and College St. near the Hunter Gatherer restaurant. The suspect presented a weapon and took the victim?s wallet and cell phone.
The victim was not injured. The subject was last seen on foot on College St. towards Assembly St.
Members of the Carolina Community are encouraged to report suspicious persons or any related crime tips to law enforcement, or CRIMESTOPPERS at 1-888-CRIME-SC. To send anonymous tips via text or online, go to www.midlandscrimestoppers.com
- Travel on major sidewalks along major streets and avoid shortcuts. Well lit and well-traveled routes are best.
- The University has and encourages the use of several available shuttle services for transportation to and around campus such as the Evening Shuttle, Late Night Shuttle, APO, and others. Please go to http://www.sc.edu/vmps/shuttle.html for more information.
- Have a plan before going out. Make sure your friends know not to leave you alone or let you leave anywhere with someone other than the friends you came with. Stay in a group as much as possible.
- The best mode of travel is by vehicle but if you do choose to walk, travel in large groups and never alone. The larger the group of people you are with, the better (four or more is best).
- Be aware of your surroundings and trust your instincts. If a place or situation doesn't feel right, it probably isn't. Leave.
- If you feel unsafe or see suspicious activity or persons, seek safety in a well-populated area or building and call the police immediately by dialing 911.