A CRIME ALERT has been posted to the USC Division of Law Enforcement and Safety's website http://bit.ly/gpUqGQ
Type of Alert:
Assisting Other Agency (Columbia Police Department) - Attempted Kidnapping
Date and Time:
Tuesday, September 24, 2013 around 10:30am
600 Block of Pickens St.
Pickens St. between Blossom and Greene
Clothing: Black shorts, white shirt
Other: Short hair, Stubble facial hair.
At approximately 10:30am on 9/24/2013, a male approached a female near the 600 block of Pickens St. (between Blossom and Greene St.) He grabbed her arm from behind and instructed her to come with him. The female fled the area. The subject is described as a black male, in his thirties, with short hair, stubble facial hair, and wearing black shorts and white t-shirt. The case is being investigated by the Columbia Police Department.
Members of the Carolina Community are encouraged to immediately report suspicious persons or any related crime tips to law enforcement, or CRIMESTOPPERS at 1-888-CRIME-SC. To send anonymous tips via text or online, go to www.midlandscrimestoppers.com
- Travel on major sidewalks along major streets and avoid shortcuts. Well lit and well-traveled routes are best.
- The University has and encourages the use of several available shuttle services for transportation to and around campus. Please go to http://www.sc.edu/vmps/shuttle.html for more information.
- Have a plan before going out. Make sure your friends know not to leave you alone or let you leave anywhere with someone other than the friends you came with. Stay in a group as much as possible.
- The best mode of travel is by vehicle but if you do choose to walk, travel in large groups and never alone. The larger the group of people you are with, the better (four or more is best).
- Be aware of your surroundings and trust your instincts. If a place or situation doesn't feel right, it probably isn't. Leave.
- If you feel unsafe or see suspicious activity or persons, seek safety in a well-populated area or building and call the police immediately by dialing 911.