A CRIME ALERT has been posted to the USC Division of Law Enforcement and Safety's website http://bit.ly/gpUqGQ
Type of Alert:
Assisting Other Agency (Columbia Police Department)
Date and Time:
May 30, 2012 around 5:45 p.m.
Sumter St. and Devine St.
Suspect 1:Black male, large build with long hair (not dreadlocks)
Suspect 2:Black female
Vehicle: Silver Nissan Altima
The victim was walking down Sumter Street at Devine Street and was approached by two suspects in a silver Nissan Altima. The female suspect was driving. The male suspect passenger called the victim over and then grabbed him from inside the vehicle. The suspect had something in his hand which may have been a weapon. The suspects took the victim?s money and fled the area southbound on Sumter Street.
Members of the Carolina Community are encouraged to report suspicious persons or any related crime tips to law enforcement, or CRIMESTOPPERS at 1-888-CRIME-SC. To send anonymous tips via text or online, go to www.midlandscrimestoppers.com
- Travel on major sidewalks along major streets and avoid shortcuts. Well lit and well-traveled routes are best.
- The University has and encourages the use of several available shuttle services for transportation to and around campus such as the Evening Shuttle, Late Night Shuttle, APO, and others. Please go to http://www.sc.edu/vmps/shuttle.html for more information.
- Have a plan before going out. Make sure your friends know not to leave you alone or let you leave anywhere with someone other than the friends you came with. Stay in a group as much as possible.
- The best mode of travel is by vehicle but if you do choose to walk, travel in large groups and never alone. The larger the group of people you are with, the better (four or more is best).
- Be aware of your surroundings and trust your instincts. If a place or situation doesn't feel right, it probably isn't. Leave.
- If you feel unsafe or see suspicious activity or persons, seek safety in a well-populated area or building and call the police immediately by dialing 911.