SIPA offers Evaluation Services in the areas
of broadcasting, literary magazine, newspaper, and yearbook. Publications
receive ratings of Merit, Excellent, Superior or All-Southern. Publications
that receive All-Southern ratings qualify to compete for the Scroggins
Award, which recognizes the best SIPA publication in each division.
Results of evaluations are announced at the annual convention at
the Marriott Hotel in Columbia, S.C. the first weekend in March
Deadlines for SIPA Evaluations are:
- October 15 - Yearbook and Magazine
- December 5 - Newspaper
- January 15 - Online
- January 30 - Broadcast
- July 1 - Yearbook and Magazine
Membership and Evaluation Fees:
- $30 – publication or associate membership
- $70 – evaluation of your publication (broadcast, magazine, newspaper or yearbook)
- $400 – lifetime membership* - 20% off the $500 fee to celebrate our Endowment’s 20th anniversary. Advantages of Lifetime Memberships: (1) they stay with advisers who change schools; (2) all publications under a lifetime member have free memberships; (3) all Lifetime Memberships fees go directly to the SIPA Endowment.
Publication Membership ($30):
- Publication members can receive a publication evaluation for only $70 and can participate in the SIPA Mail-In Contest ($5 per entry or $50 for 11 entries).
- Publication members will have access to the adviser listserv to communicate with other publication advisers.
- Publication members receive mailings from the SIPA office about upcoming events, scholarship and award opportunities and journalism information.
Lifetime Membership ($400):
Associate Membership ($30):
- Your Lifetime Membership follows you wherever you go, even if you change schools. (You still pay evaluation and contest fees.)
- You only need one Lifetime Membership to cover ALL the publications you advise.
- Lifetime Members need only pay for evaluations and contest fees every year.
- Lifetime Memberships are an instant contribution to the SIPA Endowment Fund, which provides scholarships and fellowships to SIPA members every year.
- Lifetime members will have access to the adviser listserv to communicate with other publication advisers.
- Lifetime members receive mailings from the SIPA office about upcoming events, scholarship and award opportunities and journalism information.
- This membership is for individuals who do not advise publications but who are active in scholastic journalism activities.
- Associate members will have access to the adviser listserv to communicate with other publication advisers.
- Associate members receive mailings from the SIPA office about upcoming events, scholarship and award opportunities and journalism information.
SIPA Lifetime Members:
- Yvonne Allen
- Robert Atwood
- Vanessa Bump
- Brian Cole
- Sylvia Daughtry
- Lisa Dean
- Karen Flowers
- Steve Hanf
- Heather Hanks
- Erinn Harris
- Tara Hays
- Tressie Hays
- Ken Henderson
- Valerie Kibler
- Steve Lindgren
- Dr. Grady Locklear
- Deanna Martin
- Deborah Mayer
- Chris McDonald
- Rik McNeill
- Amy Medlock-Greene
- Melonie Menefee
- Lance Morrison
- Betty Morton
- Louisa Ogle
- Lori Oglesbee
- Betsy Owen
- David Ragsdale
- Shawn Risener
- Martha Rothwell
- Al Scroggins
- Greg Spoon
- Stephanie Stone
- Beth Ward
- Chris Waugaman
- David Webb
- Rae Weinstein
2014-2015 SIPA Membership Form
Literary Magazine (pdf)