Incoming Graduate & Professionals Checklist
Apply For Aid
Apply for admission to the University of South Carolina through the Office of Graduate Admissions.
- Consult with your department of study to see if Departmental Scholarships, Fellowships, and/or Graduate Assistantships are available.
- Apply for Non-Institutional Scholarships.
Complete the Free Application For Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). This application is required for federal financial aid, including student loans.
- When completing the FAFSA, you will need a Personal Identification Number (PIN). It is important to remember your PIN as you will use it frequently.
- USC-Columbia's School Code is 003448. If you already have a FAFSA on file with another school for the same school year, add the USC-Columbia school code to the school list on the FAFSA.
- You should complete a new FAFSA each year to be considered for federal aid. The new FAFSA becomes available on January 1st each year.
Check your Financial Aid Eligibility and Requirements on Self Service Carolina (SSC) once our office has received your FAFSA. Federal aid will not be awarded until your application is complete and all requirements are satisfied.
- Visit https://my.sc.edu/ if you have problems accessing the SSC link.
- Remember that it could take 1 to 2 weeks for USC-Columbia to receive the results of your application.
- Make sure all requirements are satisfied before April 1st, USC-Columbia's Priority Deadline. If all requirements are not satisfied by April 1st, then you may miss out on awards that have limited funding. However, you may continue to apply after April 1st to receive Federal Direct Loans.
- If you are a first-time user of SSC, set your SSC PIN.
Check your awards. You will automatically be considered for federal loans. After you have been awarded, you can decide if other aid is needed.
- USC-Columbia begins awarding Federal Aid on April 1st.
Apply for a Federal Direct PLUS Loan if more aid is needed.
As a last resort, you may consider applying for a Private Educational Loan.
Review and Finalize Your Awards
Review and Accept, Decline, or Make Changes to your awards on SSC by clicking on the Financial Aid tab, Award, and then Aid for Award Year.
- If you wish to make any other changes to your awards, submit a signed copy of your award letter to our office with the changes listed.
Complete Federal Direct Loan Entrance Counseling by signing in at http://www.studentloans.gov.
If awarded a Federal Perkins Loan, complete your Promissory Note and other loan requirements at http://www.sc.edu/bursar/studentloan.shtml (click on the "Initial Loan Processing" tab).
Complete your Federal Direct Loan Master Promissory Note (MPN) by signing in at http://www.studentloans.gov.
If you have been awarded Federal Work Study, you may click here to search for job postings. If you have not been awarded Federal Work Study and you wish to be considered for it, please contact our office.
Read our Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) for detailed information about your awards and how to use them.
Make sure any Non-University Scholarship checks are sent to:
Bursar's Office · 516 South Main Street · Columbia, South Carolina 29208
- You may need to endorse a check if it is made co-payable to you and the University.
Receiving Your Financial Aid
Confirm you have completed all financial aid requirements on SSC.
- The Title IV Fee Authorization must be completed on SSC by clicking on the "Resources/Additional Information" tab under "Aid For Award Year."
- Once fees are calculated and the bill is created, funds will begin disbursing to the student's account. It is your responsibility to ensure that all requirements for financial aid are completed so that aid can be used in the disbursement process and that any remaining charges are paid to fully satisfy your bill.