Important Information & News
2012-13 Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) Now Available!
The 2012-13 Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) is now available at http://www.fafsa.ed.gov/. Be sure to complete your 2012-13 FAFSA as soon as possible. We must receive your completed FAFSA and any requested application documentation by April 1, 2012 in order to consider you for the best aid package available.
IRS Data Retrieval - A New Tool To Help You Complete Your FAFSA!
When you complete your FAFSA online, be sure to use the new IRS Data Retrieval Tool to automatically complete parts of the application. With this tool, you can use your completed tax return to fill out parts of your application automatically! It's easy, it helps you avoid mistakes, and can make the entire aid application process easier!
This process becomes a requirement for the 2012-13 FAFSA.
Your Direct Student Loan
Be sure to complete the following steps to finalize your Direct Student Loan:
- Accept your loan on VIP at https://vip.sc.edu/
- If this is your first Direct Student Loan, complete Entrance Counseling at https://studentloans.gov/myDirectLoan/index.action
- Complete a Master Promissory Note (MPN) at https://studentloans.gov/myDirectLoan/index.action
Changes to the Direct Student Loan Programs
Beginning with the 2012-13 aid year, several important changes will occur to the Direct Student Loan Programs. These changes may include:
- Direct Loans for graduate and professional students will now be solely unsubsidized. This does not affect the total amount that can be borrowed.
- Subsidized Loans for undergraduate students will now accrue interest during the six month "grace period" after graduation.
Updates will be posted as more information becomes available.