Office of Sustainability
"Through innovative research and exceptional academic programs, our student groups will continue to tackle sustainability challenges while creating greater awareness of Carolina's greening campus operations."
- President Harris Pastides, University of South Carolina Sustainability Report, 2015
COURSES AND PROGRAMS
The University of South Carolina strives to increase sustainability's interdisciplinary application by offering courses in several different subject areas. Some options include:
- ENVR 295: Green Technology in Germany
- HRTM 485: Sustainable Tourism
- HIST 360: Into the Wild: Global Conservation since 1800
For a full list of sustainability themed courses, click here.
Some of the more popular sustainability-related majors include:
- Environmental Science - BS
- Environmental Studies - BA
- Geography - BS
- Geological Sciences - BS
- Geophysics - BS
- Marine Science - BS
Our sustainability-related graduate programs of study include:
- Master of Earth and Environmental Resources Management
- Master of Geological Sciences
- Master of Marine Sciences
- Doctor of Geological Sciences
- Doctor of Marine Sciences
SUSTAINABILITY ACROSS THE CURRICULUM WORKSHOP
With support from AASHE, UofSC has been designated a regional faculty training center for developing formal and informal sustainability curriculum.
The 2017 workshop, hosted by the University of South Carolina on November 3-4, will explore how educators can utilize their unique role to inspire, inform, and train today's students to become tomorrow's sustainability champions. Intended to support faculty of all disciplines and levels of familiarity with sustainability, Citizen Students will provide exciting hands-on activities, case studies, and examples of how developing sustainability curriculum can transform challenges faced by today's environment, local economies, and society.