Faculty and Staff
Lydia R. Zager MSN, RN, NEA-BC
College of Nursing
University of South Carolina
College of Nursing
Ms. Zager competed her MSN in Nursing Administration with a minor in Teaching in 1988
at the University of Texas, Health Science Center in San Antonio, TX, and her BSN
in 1976 at Pittsburg State University in Pittsburg, KS. In addition, she received
her Advance Nursing
Administration Certification, (NEA-BC) from the American Nurses Credentialing Center.
Ms. Zager has taught the following courses:
· Medical Surgical Nursing
· Group Facilitation
· Precepting and Mentoring Workshops
· Faculty Development
· Critical Thinking and Reasoning and Concept maps
· Multigenerational Conflict
· Leadership development topics to include communication, conflict, team building, delegation, hiring and retaining staff
Research (Concept Areas)
Communication and conflict management
Zager, L, Leake, S & Ledford, C. (2009) Poster Presentation: Leading Beyond Limits:
A Leadership Development Process, American Organization of Nurse Executives Conference,
San Antonio, TX
Zager, L (2006) Poster Presentation: Does Middle Management Leadership Development Program Make a Difference in the Work Environment? International Sigma Theta Tau Conference, Montreal, Canada
Zager, L, (2006) Presentation: Does Middle Management Training Make a Difference in the Work Environment, 4th Annual Magnet Conference, Greenville, SC
Ms. Zager is a member of the following professional organizations:
· American Organization of Nurse Executives
· South Carolina American Organization of Nurse Executives
· Sigma Theta Tau
· American Hospital Association
· Program Coordinator Alpha Xi Chapter of Sigma Theta Tau
· American Nurses Association
Some of the areas in which Ms. Zager has practiced include:
· Medical and Cardiac Intensive Care Units
· Medical Surgical Units
· Middle Manager and Clinical Supervision in community and medical centers
· Clinical Faculty in Telemetry Units
· Chief of Nursing and Hospital Education Departments
· Nursing Leadership Center
Research Studies (Selected)
Effect of Middle Manager Education on the Work Environment. Investigator, (J. Herman Principal Investigator)
(2010) pending. Zager, L., & Manning, L., Learning to Lead: A Leadership Curriculum., ICAN Publishing Inc, Dahlonega, GA.
(2009) pending. Herman, J., Zager, L., Manning, L., Eight Steps to Leading Learning., ICAN Publishing Inc, Dahlonega, GA.
2008. A Guide for the Nurse Educator: Mastering the Teaching Role, Chapters 5 and 13 Leadership and Intergenerational Learning Styles, F.A. Davis.
Zager, L.R., Walker, E. (2005) One Vision, One Voice, Transforming Caregiving in Nursing, Orthopaedic Nursing, 24, (2).
Zager, L.R. & Walker, E. (2003). Where in the world is the vision for nursing. The South Carolina Nurse, X(4), 11.
Zager, L.R., Penn, B., Whitlatch, C., & Worden, S. (1991). Merging Concepts: Nursing Process, Workload Management, & Quality Assurance. Journal of Nursing Staff Development