Scholar Stories is compiled by the Office of Fellowships and Scholar Programs, and chronicles the activities of both Carolina and McNair Scholars. For more information, contact the office at 777-0958.
- True Scholar Stories November 2014 -
- True Scholar Stories October 2014 -
- True Scholar Stories September 2014 -
- True Scholar Stories May 2014 -
- True Scholar Stories April 2014 -
- True Scholar Stories March 2014 -
- True Scholar Stories February 2014 -
- True Scholar Stories January 2014 -
- True Scholar Stories December 2013 -
- True Scholar Stories November 2013 -
- True Scholar Stories October 2013 -
- True Scholar Stories August 2013 -
- Scholars Get Cooking With First Lady
On September 3rd and 4th Scholars of all classes were given the opportunity to spend an evening cooking with University of South Carolina first lady, Mrs. Moore-Pastides. In addition to being the University of South Carolina's first lady, Patricia Moore-Pastides is an accomplished cook, successful public health professional, advocate for many worthy causes and author of two Greek cookbooks. She used her cookbooks as the source for the cooking classes offered through Columbia's Cooking!
- Professor Don Fowler Gives First Fall Last Lecture
On Wednesday, September 10th, Professor Don Fowler was the speaker as part of the Last Lecture Series coordinated by Scholars United. Fowler's topic was "An Impossible Task", a discussion on the differences between success criteria now versus fifty years ago. Professor Fowler has been sharing his knowledge at USC for 51 years, and he served as National Chairman of the Democratic Convention from 1995 to 1997.
- Bill Brower Is Getting Down to Business
Senior computer science majors Andrew Askins and Bill Brower (Hamilton Scholar) along with recent alumnus Austin Price kick-started Krit, an app that helps freelance graphic designers manage projects and work with clients. The group applied to work with UofSC's Tminus6 accelerator program, which provided them with startup capital, mentorship, legal counsel, hosting, and other resources.
- Adam Glenn Analyzes Illuminated Manuscripts
Adam Glenn, a freshman Carolina Scholar, is working with English professor Scott Gwara and chemistry professor Steve Morgan on researching illuminated manuscripts. Adam is using his knowledge of chemical engineering to analyze the composition of blue pigments in three illuminated manuscripts from the late 1400s, from France, germany, and Italy.
- Scholars Show Off Research at Discovery Day
At this year's Discovery Day hosted by the Office of Undergraduate Research, 27 scholars participated with poster or oral presentations. Some students even gave multiple presentations: one scholar gave three; six gave two. In competitions based upon category of study, nine scholars won first place and three won second place.
Columbia, SC 29208 803-777-0958
© University of South Carolina Board of Trustees