- Carolina Scholar Connor Bain Wins Prestigious Undergraduate Award
Graduating Carolina Scholar, Connor Bain, is a 2015 Algernon Sydney Sullivan Award winner. Before moving on to pursue PhDs in Learning Sciences and Computer Science at Northwestern University, the computer science and math major used his time at Carolina to connect his various interests in science, math, the environment and teaching as he prepares for a career in education.
- Brian Maynor presents 'What to Wear When' to Scholars and Preston Residents
Brian Maynor, image expert and motivational speaker, presenting What to Wear When to students from both Scholar Programs and Preston on March 31st. Visit his website, brianmaynor.com for more information!
- Find Your Passion
Like a lot of college students, Natalie Pita believes in finding her passion - but she's taking a pluralistic approach.
- Scholar Alumni Panel
Five Scholar Alumni recently sat on a panel for current Top Scholars to share their insights on both their college careers and life post graduation. They all agreed that flexibility is important throughout life, as well as a comitment to lifelong learning and learning from the years of experience from colleagues. From left to right are Patrick Kelly (teacher at Blythewood HS), Jeremy VanderKnyff(DHEC), Kayla Porter(student, USC Law), Monica Smoak McCutcheon (pediatrician), and Russ Purdy (Merrill Lynch).
- Scholars Get Cooking With First Lady
On September 3rd and 4th Scholars of all classes were given the opportunity to spend an evening cooking with University of South Carolina first lady, Mrs. Moore-Pastides. In addition to being the University of South Carolina's first lady, Patricia Moore-Pastides is an accomplished cook, successful public health professional, advocate for many worthy causes and author of two Greek cookbooks. She used her cookbooks as the source for the cooking classes offered through Columbia's Cooking!
- Professor Don Fowler Gives First Fall Last Lecture
On Wednesday, September 10th, Professor Don Fowler was the speaker as part of the Last Lecture Series coordinated by Scholars United. Fowler's topic was "An Impossible Task", a discussion on the differences between success criteria now versus fifty years ago. Professor Fowler has been sharing his knowledge at USC for 51 years, and he served as National Chairman of the Democratic Convention from 1995 to 1997.
- Bill Brower Is Getting Down to Business
Senior computer science majors Andrew Askins and Bill Brower (Hamilton Scholar) along with recent alumnus Austin Price kick-started Krit, an app that helps freelance graphic designers manage projects and work with clients. The group applied to work with UofSC's Tminus6 accelerator program, which provided them with startup capital, mentorship, legal counsel, hosting, and other resources.
Scholar Stories is compiled by the Office of Fellowships and Scholar Programs, and chronicles the activities of our Top Scholars and alumni. For more information, contact the office at 777-0958.
- Top Scholar Stories October 2015 -
- Top Scholar Stories September 2015 -
- Top Scholar Stories August 2015 -
- Top Scholar Stories July 2015 -
- Top Scholar Stories June 2015 -
- Top Scholar Stories May 2015 -
- Top Scholar Stories April 2015 -
- Top Scholar Stories March 2015 -
- Top Scholar Stories February 2015 -
- Top Scholar Stories December 2014 -
- Top Scholar Stories November 2014 -
- Top Scholar Stories October 2014 -
- Top Scholar Stories September 2014 -
- True Scholar Stories May 2014 -
- True Scholar Stories April 2014 -
- True Scholar Stories March 2014 -
- True Scholar Stories February 2014 -
- True Scholar Stories January 2014 -
- True Scholar Stories December 2013 -
- True Scholar Stories November 2013 -
- True Scholar Stories October 2013 -
- True Scholar Stories August 2013 -
Columbia, SC 29208 803-777-0958
© University of South Carolina Board of Trustees