What is it?
Research is all about asking questions and finding answers. Research is diving into a topic you are interested in and learning more about it. Research happens in all majors but you don’t even have to do research in your major. You can explore almost anything that you are interested in!
Can you give me an example?
Sure! Check out the award database here.
- Try a keyword like music, cancer, or biolog (with the partial word you will pull up biology AND biological)
- Choose a campus THEN select a major, department, or college
Why should I?
‘cuz it’s GREAT and...
- Gain real-world experience - very important for employers
- Build your resume for the workplace or for graduate or professional school
- Work closely with faculty - learn about career options and get recommendations
- Strengthen applications for competitive scholarships and fellowships
- Improve skills and abilities for future success (communication, critical and creative thinking, etc.)
- Research can pay! Spend your time earning money and getting experience in your field
- Not sure about your major? Research can let you try out a field of study.
- Combine research with study abroad, internships, practica, service, and more - get the most out of your experience!
When should I?
The earlier the better for getting started! Start thinking about research as early as your first semester. Not only does research give you an opportunity to work with faculty, but it also lets you test drive a career.
Research is only for juniors and seniors...
NO! You can start your first semester of college (the earlier the better).
You can only conduct research in your major...
NO! You can research any area you are interested in.
You have to have your own “earth-shattering” idea, in order to do research...
NO! MOST students work on a research question developed by their faculty mentor. Even if you come up with your own question to study, it doesn’t have to “change the world,” just be interesting to you.
Research means LOTS of papers and writing...
NO! It’s a hands-on experience where you test-drive a career.
Research is just for scientists...
NO! It’s for all majors (art, music, history, education, business, and the list goes on and on).
Research is only for honors students...
NO! Research is for everyone!