About the Navigator
The Magellan Navigator supports Maxcy residents in their pursuit of research, scholarship, and creative activities.
- Projects are worked on with a faculty, staff, or community mentor
- Grants are one for one year
- Provides up to $1000 for salary, materials and supplies, and/or travel costs required to complete the project
- Funds are provided by REIMBURSEMENT ONLY
- All materials and supplies purchased are USC property
What do I do if I get it?
Navigator recipients are required to:
- Work on an approved project under the guidance of a USC faculty, staff, or community mentor
- Make significant progress toward the completion of their projects within the academic year
- Participate in Discovery Day with a poster, presentation, or display
The Navigator has what is called a ROLLING deadline. This means there isn't really a deadline. When you are ready, submit your proposal. We will then submit the proposal to a review committee. The process will take approximately one month from the moment you submit to finding out whether you received the award. One thing to note about the rolling deadline is that the earlier you submit, the better.
So who can apply for the Navigator?
- Any and ALL Maxcy residents (including Maxcy alumni)
- Any discipline
- Any year
- Student must be in good academic standing with the university
- Students must be working under the guidance of a USC faculty, staff, or community member on any scholarly, research, or creative project
*Students may not submit a proposal during the same semester in which they are graduating. Proposals CAN be submitted the semester BEFORE graduating. Scholars must be enrolled for one full semester AFTER the award date of the grant. Example: students graduating in May can apply for the October deadline of the same academic year but not in February before May graduation. Students graduating in December may not apply in October of the same academic year.
What are materials, supplies, and travel costs?
In the past, students have used these funds to purchase everything from cameras and digital recorders to trees and cement. If you purchase an item, it belongs to USC. You do not get to keep it. Check out our list below to see examples of how you could use the Navigator. When in doubt, call us.
- Software (e.g., SPSS, InDesign)
- Plane tickets
- Gas (for trips over 10 miles round trip)
- Printing costs
- Hotel room
- Cameras or video equipment
- Renting a kayak
- Books (not found through the USC library)
- Raffle items (for participants in a study—must be under $50 apiece)
- Computer (including laptop, desktop)
- Giftcards or cash (e.g., to pay participants)
- Hire people (e.g., consultants)
- Gas (for trips under 10 miles round trip)
- Books (that may be found through the USC library)
- Senior thesis printing costs
- Any item that does not have a receipt
Other points to ponder
- Looking for a digital recorder? iPad? External hard drive? We have those items available to be checked out for research projects. Check with us.
- Be sure to ask your department if they have and/or would allow you access to any materials and supplies you need. If not, note it in your budget that you checked.
Sample book budget
Sample travel budget
Sample art supply budget
Sample lab material budget
Sample materials/travel budget
Want to apply? Ready to get started?
A complete application consists of:
Step 1: Complete the Magellan Programs Application
(includes the following sections: project overview, research compliance, study abroad, and a
Step 2: Have your mentor complete the Mentor Collaboration Form
They may email the form to firstname.lastname@example.org
*If you have a co-mentor, please have them complete the Co-Mentor Form
Step 3: Complete the online application form
Select "Magellan Navigator" from pull down menu
Under "Magellan Programs Application," upload the completed Magellan Programs
Application (must be a word document of PDF)
Need some help?
Still not sure?
Let’s get you in for a meeting. Email email@example.com or call (803) 777-1141 to make an appointment.
Make an appointment to meet with one of our advisors
Call (803) 777-1141