The Magellan Voyager Travel Awards provide support for USC undergraduates to share their research at regional, national, and international meetings through poster sessions, presentations, performances, screenings, etc. Participation in
discipline-appropriate venues is an important opportunity for
students to communicate their original scholarship, to network,
and to expand their understanding of their discipline.
**Funds no longer available for spring 2013 travel**
- USC undergraduate who is the primary presenter (or
- Student’s name must appear on the program materials or
- the University of South Carolina must appear as the
Application Deadline: no set deadline – applications will be
reviewed as they are received. It is recommended that you
apply no later than six weeks before departure date; however
applications may be considered under shorter time frames.
- The OUR/Magellan Scholar program need not have supported
the research presented (not limited to Magellan Scholars)
- Student’s faculty mentor is not required to attend the
conference or presentation
- Cost-share is not required (students are encouraged to
seek supplemental funds from their College or department)
- A student may be awarded the Voyager a maximum of two times.
(standard university travel reimbursement
- One document containing:
- A letter outlining why you wish to attend THIS event, including what you expect to get from attending and how attending will impact your future plans (max 1 page)
- Proof of submission of abstract with a copy of your abstract or summary of project, including the title and authors, OR equivalent (cut and paste to end of letter)
- Completion of undergraduate travel award application and budget (will upload above document to on-line form; must know estimated costs before completing)
Additional Notes, Terms, and Conditions:
- Airfare and ground transportation
- Mileage, if a personal car is used for travel
- Your share of hotel expenses (lodging, taxes)
- Registration fee
Travel Awards may only be received TWICE per student; therefore it is important that
students and mentors decide WHICH meetings are the most
Typically the amount of the Travel Awards will cover only a
portion of the expenses requested. While matching funds are
NOT required, students are encouraged to seek supplements
from their department/college and to indicate such awards in
Students who are granted a Travel Award must acknowledge OUR on their poster/in their talk (“Travel
partially supported by the USC Office of Undergraduate
Research Voyager travel award”).
Registration fees may be prepaid by the OUR, if the
registration form is completed and brought to the Office of
Undergraduate Research at least one month before the
conference. Many conferences waive registration fees for
students and this option must be exercised if available.
Late registration fees will not be paid.
Airline tickets may be reimbursed with receipt if purchased prior to Voyager award approval, in most cases (Undergraduate Research reserves the right to disapprove). Tickets can be purchased on-line by student or mentor OR through an
USC travel agent and processed through the university
accounting system. Ground transportation to/from the
conference site is an allowable expense.
The Magellan Voyager Award will reimburse for mileage using
the established university reimbursement rate, if a personal
car is used, if the meeting is more than an hour away from
Columbia, and if you are traveling alone (no one else from
your group is going).
We expect that you will stay in the same hotel as other
members of your group and that, when possible, rooms will be
shared with another member of your group. We assume that you
will stay in an economical and safe hotel. You must include
the list of available lodging options provided by the
conference organizers with your request for a Voyager Award.
All receipts must be provided to the OUR within
after you have returned from the conference. A copy of the
meeting proceedings (or photo copy of the title page and
abstract) is required before reimbursement will be approved.
For further information contact: Asheley Schryer, OUR Assistant Director, Legare 126, phone: 777-1141, e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org.