News and Announcements
Quality Enhancement Plan (QEP):
CALL FOR PAPERS
As part of the SACS (Southern Association of Colleges and Schools) reaffirmation process,
the University of South Carolina must submit a proposal for a five-year project aimed at
improving student learning.
Choosing the topic of this QEP (Quality Enhancement Plan) must include input and support from all University constituents.
As such, the Provost is issuing a call to all faculty, students, and staff to submit QEP topic proposals.
**Cash prizes of $2,500 will be awarded to the four best papers.**
Click here to download the full Quality Enhancement Plan (QEP) Call for Papers
The QEP outlines a carefully designed course of action that addresses a well-defined and focused topic or issue related to enhancing student learning. SACS requirements state:
"The institution has developed an acceptable quality Enhancement Plan (QEP) that:
- Includes a broad-based institutional process identifying key issues emerging from institutional assessment,
- Focuses on learning outcomes and/or the environment supporting student learning and accomplishing the mission of the institution,
- Demonstrates institutional capability for the initiation, implementation, and completion of the QEP,
- Includes broad-based involvement of the institutional constituencies in the development and proposed implementation of the QEP, and
- Identifies goals and a plan to assess their achievement."
SELECTING THE TOPIC
An exploration of the University’s culture, strategic planning, goals, mission, and assessment results is a good place to begin the search for an appropriate topic. The topic need not be a brand new idea, but it might extend, modify, redirect, or strengthen an improvement that is already underway.
Institutions are encouraged to base their selection of the topic for the QEP on empirical data and an analysis of these data.
SUBMITTING A QEP PROPOSAL
Quality Enhancement Plan (QEP) Flyer
Quality Enhancement Plan (QEP) Call for Papers
For more information, contact the Office of the Provost at 803.777.2808.
- The QEP proposals must be submitted to the Office of the Provost by Friday, Oct. 30, 2009.
- Proposals may be submitted electronically via email to firstname.lastname@example.org or in hard copy to QEP Proposal Selection Committee, Office of the Provost, 102 Osborne Administration Building, USC Columbia Campus, Columbia, SC 29208.
- The proposal should not exceed five double-spaced pages (excluding references).
- A group of two administrators, three faculty members chosen by the Faculty Senate,
one of whom is from a regional campus, and two students will review all proposals.