AT and Learning Disabilities
Screenreaders and Screen Magnifiers
These types of software are useful to people who are blind, visually impaired and/or have learning differences. Most screenreaders can access all display content. Screenreaders speak information on menus, controls, icons, photos, graphics in addition to reading paragraph content out loud.
Microsoft Narrator is a limited screenreader found in Microsoft operating systems. The Voice Over option acts like a screenreader and is built into Mac products. Web browsers, word processors, icons and windows and email programs are just some of the applications used successfully by screen reader users.
Screenreaders can be used individually or with a screen magnifier. A screen magnifier enlarges the image on the screen up to 32 times. Most people prefer using a larger monitor when they use a screen magnifier.
- Dolphin Supernova - http://www.yourdolphin.co.uk/productdetail.asp?id=1
- JAWS - http://www.freedomsci.com/fs_products/
- Magic - screen magnifier http://www.freedomscientific.com/products/lv/magic-bl-product-page.asp
- NonVisual Desktop Access for Windows - http://www.nvda-project.org// Free!
- WindowEyes - http://www.gwmicro.com/
- Zoom Text - http://www.aisquared.com/products?gclid=