At least 63 hours of graduate credit and residency at the University of South Carolina are required. The MFA degree may be taken with an emphasis in acting, directing, costume design, scene design or lighting design. Each student’s program of courses will be determined by departmental guidelines with the agreement of the major advisor and will be formulated using three criteria: professional goals, past education and experience, and appropriate preparation for a thesis project and written comprehensive examination. All students in the program will complete a professional internship.
- A thesis must be accepted by the MFA Advisory Committee and by the Graduate School;
- A comprehensive examination must be passed;
- All course work must be at thhe 500 level or above, and one-half of the course work
(exclusive of thesis preparation) must be at the 700 level or above;
- A professional internship must be successfully completed.
- Students will demonstrate a comprehensive understanding of the dramatic form through the process of written text analysis, as well as written description and critical analysis of the personal process of the theatre performing artist.
- Acting students will demonstrate the ability to express artistic choices of dramatic action and character development through the written documentation and performance presentations in the department’s theatre production program.
- Design students will demonstrate the ability to express artistic choices of production design in scenery, costumes, and lighting through the written documentation, oral presentations, and production presentations in the department’s theatre production program.
- Students will successfully contribute as company members to the artistic production activities of the professional company.