What's different about the SJMC?
We are delighted you are interested in joining the School of Journalism and Mass Communications. Please review the information below to help you understand more about our academic requirements, curriculum and opportunities to be involved.
- All students are required to maintain a minimum 2.5 USC GPA in order to remain in the School of Journalism and Mass Communications (SJMC) and to graduate.
- Students who go below the 2.5 requirement will be on SJMC probation for 1 semester. If the student’s GPA does not rise to a 2.5 or higher, he/she may be removed from the SJMC. If the student goes to another major and raises their GPA to 2.5 or higher, he/she may return to the SJMC.
- SJMC students may repeat a JOUR class twice. If the grade is below a C on both attempts, the student will be removed from the SJMC and may not switch back.
SJMC Curriculum Info
- All SJMC majors must complete Stat 201 or STAT 205 as a required ARP Carolina Core course.
- All SJMC majors must complete through the 122 level of a foreign language. If you have never taken the foreign language placement test, please do so as soon as possible.
- Broadcast and journalism majors must apply for upper division. Applications are accepted the semester a student takes JOUR 291 – Writing for the Mass Communications. The process is competitive and admission is not guaranteed.
- After a student attends a SJMC Change of Major Session, they will be assigned to an advisor based on major. Students will make advisement appointments via our on-line scheduling system. We will start advisement for spring in mid-September and advisement for summer/fall early February. SJMC students are encouraged to make appointments as early as possible.
- Our office is located at 800 Sumter Street, Suite 118.
- Change of Major students will be added to the SJMC News Update. We will send this weekly newsletter on Tuesdays at 10am. This newsletter contains lots of important information; therefore, we highly recommend ALL SJMC students READ this email!
Opportunities for Involvement in the SJMC
- Study Abroad - we encourage students to explore opportunities to study abroad. Please speak with your assigned academic advisor as soon as possible if you are interested in going abroad.
- Internships - Though internships are not required within our majors, most SJMC students become actively involved with an internship while completing their studies. Katie Bullard is the internship/career services manager. She is happy to help students looking for an internship or in need of career counseling.
- Scholarships - SJMC students are eligible for our department scholarships. Information will be sent out on the SJMC News Update when the application is available. Both your academics and student involvement are important deciding factors.
- Student Organizations - There are many opportunities for involvement in a major specific student organization. Some examples are: Public Relations Student Society of America (PRSSA), Student Ad Federation (SAF), and the Association of Black Journalists (ABJ).
Procedure for Changing Your Major
The procedure to change your major varies depending on your current academic status. If you meet the admissions criteria listed above, use the chart below to navigate changing your major into the SJMC.
Are you a first-semester freshmen and want to change your major to the SJMC?
First semester freshmen who want to change their major into the SJMC can do so after their first semester grades have posted.
Start by visiting a change of major advisor in the University Advising Center and completing the change of major paperwork. You will then need to sign up for a change of major advising session with SJMC staff to be held in January 2018. Registration for these sessions will open in December. The registration link will be available on this page.
Please bring the change of major paperwork to your SJMC advising session.
Currently enrolled as a major in the SJMC but want to change to another major within the SJMC?
Please make an appointment with your assigned SJMC academic advisor to discuss how to change majors.
Currently enrolled as a major in a college other than the SJMC but want to change your major to the SJMC? Sign up for a Change of Major Session here.
Great! We are happy you want to join us.
In order to change your major to the SJMC, you must attend a Change of Major Session to review SJMC policies and procedures and to be advised. If you have questions, please contact the SJMC Students Services Office for assistance at 803-777-0068.
Change of Major Advising Session F5
September 15, 2017 - 10 a.m.
This session is for SOPHOMORES, JUNIORS and SENIORS students who want to change to a SJMC major.
Currently enrolled as a major in the SJMC but want to change majors to another school/college at USC?
We are sorry to see you go but know you will find other great opportunities here at the university.
Please visit the University Advising Center to make an appointment with a major change advisor who will help you navigate through the process of changing your major.