Campus Recreation, USC Student Life
Campus Recreation is looking for a student worker to work 15-20 hours a week. This position is paid.
Carolina Dining, USC
The Marketing Interns primary role is to support strategy, implement tactics and track the achievement of 3 key pillars:
- Increasing profitable sales growth year-over-year
- Increasing customer satisfaction
- Ensure Client Retention
The daily activities of the Marketing Intern are the implementation, tracking and reporting of Sodexo marketing initiative in alignment with the above 3 pillars. These responsibilities include:
- Monitor campus websites and social media outlets to ensure compliance and up-to-date information
- Assist with the creation and implementation of all communication collateral, video, print, web, social media, etc.
- Assist with communication, promotion, implementation and tracking of all account level research to include bi-annual customer satisfaction surveys, focus groups, customer segmentation processes, food preference surveys, and custom account analysis in
- Support of Creating Exceptional Student Experiences positioning through a keen understanding of how to leverage marketing tactics at each touch point of the consumer journey
- Implement the contents of the Campus Marketing Promotions Kit
- Support the Better Tomorrow Plan initiatives through marketing, promotion and communication
- Must have excellent organizational skills, attention to detail, and the ability to prioritize in a changing environment
- Must have excellent interpersonal skills and follow- up skills
- Knowledge of cameras (video and photography) and equipment, including editing software
- Strong verbal and written communication skills required
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team
This position is paid, $10 an hour. Other benefits include book scholarships, meal credits, professional experience and more.
Contact Shawon Gibbons to apply at Shawon.Gibbons@sodexo.com.
Columbia, SC Police Department
Columbia PD is looking for a Media Relations intern to work part time this summer. For more information please click here.
Housing Authority of Columbia
The Columbia Housing Authority is looking for a communications intern to work part time. Pay is $15/hr. For more information please click here.
Job Fair, USC
The Job Fair Intern will play an integral role in the marketing, planning, execution,
and evaluation of the University of South Carolina Career Center's job fairs:
Fall Semester: Career Fest/S.E.T. Fair Fall, Health Professions Fair, Pharmacy Day, Graduate & Professional School Fair
Spring Semester: Career Fest/S.E.T. Fair Spring, Education Recruitment Day, SEC & ACC Virtual Career Fair
This position may qualify for the Career Center's Community Internship Program (CIP), which can provide a transition notation and placeholder credit so students can balance working while taking classes.
Students interested in pursuing an internship for academic credit should contact their academic department for approval. Please see here for contacts by major. Students interested in a non-credit experience may be eligible for a transcript notation (CIP Program) through the USC Career Center and are encouraged to learn more here.
Pay Rate: $7.25/hr. minimum - $10/hr. depending on degree of experience
Duration: Fall 2016-Spring 2017; 10-15 hours per week
Applicants should have demonstrated coursework and/or experience in Public Relations and Mass Communication-related fields; Marketing or Hospitality, Retail and Sport Management. Preference given to seniors and graduate students. Other desired skills include:
- Previous event planning experience
- Willingness to learn
- Teamwork skills
- Ability to work independently
- Attention to detail
- Initiative and self-motivation
- Organization/coordination skills
- Familiarity with basic word processing and desktop
- Proficiency in MS Word, PowerPoint, Excel, etc.
- Familiarity with Adobe InDesign
- Assist the Career Center Employer Relations team with promoting and facilitating job fairs in the Fall 2016 and Spring 2017 semesters.
- Utilize database system (Handshake) to assist in managing job fair marketing and regular procedures for students and employers for the job fairs.
- Outreach to student organizations and other target audiences to promote our events.
- Other duties as assigned.
Joe Wilson for Congress
Are you ready to get off the sidelines and get involved in the political process?
Interns will gain experience in event planning, communication/media relations, grassroots organization, fundraising, social media, event logistics, issue research, and composition of assorted white papers this semester. We are seeking the best and brightest individuals who have our passion for politics and are interested in experiencing first-hand the inner workings of a political campaign.
All Applicants Must Be:
Effective Working with Deadlines Detail Oriented
And Enjoy Working in a Fast Paced Environment
Excellent communication skills, both written and oral, are required.
Excellent research skills.
Strong computer skills.
Ability to lift, stand, or bend (for tasks such as filing and organizing inventory)
Comfortable with doing follow-up phone/good phone demeanor
Must be at least current undergraduate, graduate student, or recent graduate student.
Example projects you may be in-charge of completing include: Data entry, social media management, staffing the Congressman, staffing a booth at a local event, setting up events, volunteer coordination or management, research, donor relations, event planning, phone banking, door walking, assisting with all GOTV activities, scheduling, and more!
Interested candidates should submit a resume, writing sample, brief cover letter outlining why they would be a perfect fit for our campaign team to email@example.com. Applicants will be accepted on a rolling basis. Please contactBrielle or call 803-926-1413 with any questions.
Applicants will be selected on a rolling basis. We will offer 6-8 candidates the opportunity to join us this semester. Qualified applicants can receive 3-6 hours of class credit. Remote internships are available for outstanding applicants.
Lieutenant Governor's Office
The Media Intern with the Lieutenant Governor’s Office will work closely with the Community Outreach division to develop print materials, website maintenance and design, video production and social media marketing. In this role, the Media Intern will report directly to the Lieutenant Governor’s Deputy Chief of Staff for External Affairs.
- Advanced research skills
- Experience with InDesign and Photoshop
- Experience managing organizational social media accounts; including knowledge and experience with social media analytics and Facebook ads
- Writing skills
- Must be at least a Junior majoring in Public Relations
How to apply: Interested students should email a resume and writing sample to the HR Director, Jessica Lovelace at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Mayor's Fellows Program
The Mayor's Fellows program provides both undergraduate and masters-level students the opportunity to gain first-hand knowledge of how a high-energy local government office operates. This program caters to students satisfying class credit, fulfilling internship requirements, or those simply wishing to gain experience working in public service, the community, and the governmental arena.
Activities include assisting policy staff with research in various fields that may affect departments/agencies within the City of Columbia, helping with special research projects, researching current City of Columbia policy, and assisting with research in specially designated areas. Fellows will receive an opportunity to work alongside staff and identify best practices.
Selected students will be asked to dedicate ten to twenty hours per week to the fellowship program. If you are interested in this program please apply immediately.
Office of Pre-Professional Advising, USC
The Office of Pre-Professional Advising (OPPA) at USC is looking to hire an intern with strong knowledge and understanding of the digital media landscape, including various social media websites. The OPPA has recently redesigned its website and is in need of someone to keep the “Pre-Professional News” section on the homepage up-to-date. The intern will also assist with publication design that supports the university's overarching marketing and communications initiatives. The OPPA would also like to launch a social media campaign. The intern hired for this position will need strong critical thinking and research skills, as the intern will be tasked with finding appropriate news stories and information for pre-professional students to use on the news section of the website.
- Contribute to news section of website - Twice monthly
- Monitor and post on blogs, forums, and social networks
-Report analytics to director weekly
-Solicit news from office staff weekly
- Online outreach and promotion using Facebook, Twitter and possibly LinkedIn
- Website and social media optimization
- Keeping “Calendar of Events” updated - Solicit events/programs from staff weekly
- Assist in assessing basic website analytics
- Develop publications using InDesign
Students applying for this internship should be journalism majors with experience in website upkeep and a solid understanding of social media and InDesign.
Start Date is Negotiable
Contact Eileen Korpita, the Director of Pre-Professional Advising, to apply at EILEENK@mailbox.sc.edu
Richland School District One
Work Locations: Stevenson Administration Building and Waverley Administration Center
1616 Richland Street / 1225 Oak Street
Columbia, South Carolina
Position Details: The Richland County School District One Office of Communications is seeking an intern with the ability to communicate well, learn quickly and work independently.
Compensation – $10.00/hour
Work Schedule: Approximately 15-20 hours a week (special arrangements may be made to suit school schedules and requirements)
- Assist the Public Information Manager
- Assist with news releases and other projects/assignments on an ongoing basis.
- Assist with VIP Network electronic newsletter writing, formatting and editing
- Assist with maintenance and updates to the district’s Points of Pride
- Manage media tracking data
- Pitch unique story ideas to the Public Information Manager for media pitches
- Create and manage an incentive program to encourage schools and departments to identify stories for internal and external promotion
- Assist the Broadcast Communication Specialists (Richland One TV)
- Obtain images and B-roll (via in-field and studio camera operation) for Richland One TV programming
- Create 10- to 15-second “commercials” for social media and ROTV
- Potential opportunities to host ROTV shows/other on-camera work
- Perform General Office of Communications Duties
- Assist with daily functions of the Communications Office including, but not limited to, answering phones, proofreading, issuing Golden Activities Passes for senior citizens, etc.
- Communications staff persons will communicate projects on an ongoing basis and will include expected outcomes and deadlines.
- Assist with monitoring and keeping the website and intranet up to date.
- Assist with student and staff recognitions.
- Assist with special events (Hall of Fame Gala, Principal for a Day initiative, Academic All-Stars Banquet, etc.).
- Other duties as assigned
- Willingness to learn new skills and work in a team environment
- Strong writing skills and basic photography skills
- Strong computer skills in using PC and Mac (InDesign, Excel, Word, Photoshop)
- Excellent organizational, oral and written communication skills and interpersonal skills
- Self-motivated, reliable, flexible, creative and detail-oriented
Contact: Edith Caudle
Public Information Manager
Richland One Office of Communications
1616 Richland Street
Columbia, South Carolina 29201
SCDNR Diversity Outreach Program
SCDNR is looking for an intern to aid in the organization, promotion and implementation of DNR and partner events to increase diverse attendance. Works with state, federal and non-governmental partners to reach diverse populations through events, publications, media relations and social media. Translates and interprets English to Spanish, and vice versa. Assists in the translation of regulations, web, social media, etc. Works with schools and other civic groups to increase knowledge of DNR, DNR programs and opportunities and conservation.
Strong customer service, technical writing and presentation skills are required as well as ability to work nights and weekends at various events. Ability to provide English to Spanish translation and interpretation required. Proficiency in Microsoft Office, social media platforms and Adobe Professional products. Experience using Adobe Creative Suite preferred.
Scholastic Organizations, SCSPA/SIPA
Visual Communications internship
About Scholastic Media Organizations
The scholastic media organizations of the School of Journalism and Mass Communications serve middle and high school journalism programs in South Carolina (S.C. Scholastic Press Association) and the Southeast region (Southern Interscholastic Press Association). Through conventions and conferences, evaluative services, scholarship opportunities and various individual competitions, SCSPA and SIPA strive to empower, educate and support scholastic journalism programs.
- Designing programs and brochures for SCSPA and SIPA
- Designing digital products and promotional materials for the website and social media platforms
- Documenting SCSPA and SIPA events through videography, photography and social media
- Creating, editing and organizing original audio, video and visual content for
- print and web platforms.
- Producing, editing and publishing multimedia projects for websites
Contact Leslie Dennis, director of Scholastic Media Organizations, to apply.
The South Carolina Public Employee Benefit Authority is looking for a visual communications intern. The hours are flexible with a pay rate of $15/hr. For more information please click here.
Tim Scott, U.S. Senator
Tim Scott is looking for interns in his South Carolina and Washington DC offices for general office duties including but not limited to answering phones, research, attending hearings and answering constituent letters. Internships are unpaid and hours are generally 9:00-5:00 pm. For more information click here.
USC Press marketing interns gain the following experience:
· Learn about the book publishing industry
· Write press releases
· Write book jacket descriptions
· Post promotional info on Facebook and Twitter
· Pitch and schedule author book-signing events
· Identify quotable/promotable content from book reviews
· Assist with administrative tasks
Unpaid, but available for academic credit when applicable.
Submit resumes to Suzanne Axland, Marketing Director, USC Press at email@example.com.
USC Office of Communications and Public Affairs
The USC Office of Communications and Public Affairs is accepting applications for two summer public relations internship positions. For more information please click here.