So, one of the JOUR 499 - Special Topics courses has caught your eye? Great! We’re excited to offer them to our students!! However, it is important to know we are implementing a new registration procedure for enrolling in several Special Topics courses.
If the Special Topics course you are interested in has a prerequisite course (see list below), you will need to complete an online form before you will be allowed to register for the course. In Self Service Carolina, while attempting to register for one of these courses, you need to click on the blue CRN number to access the online form.
The SJMC Student Services staff will check this information daily during registration week. If you meet the course prerequisites, we will send you an email letting you know that you have been approved to register. You will then have ONLY 24 HOURS to register for the course. If you fail to register during this time, we will move on to any remaining students until the course is full. Please understand that NO EXCEPTIONS will be made.
The Special Topics courses with prerequisites for Fall 2017 are:
- Media Relations (Prerequisite: JOUR 436)
- Power Producing (Prerequisite JOUR 361, or JOUR 346 and JOUR 347)
- Data Journalism (Prerequisite: JOUR 291)
- Digital Signage (Prerequisite: JOUR 291)
- Social Media: Objectives, Strategies, and Tactics (Prerequisite: JOUR 201and JOUR 291)
- Leadership and International Relations Management (Prerequisite: JOUR 201)
Please note: Just completing the online form does not register you for the course. You must receive a permission email from the Office of Student Services.
As always, if you have a question, please do not hesitate to stop by the SJMC Student Services Office. We are here to help.