Posted May 3, 2018
The School of Journalism and Mass Communications at the University of South Carolina invites applications for a full-time technical manager to join the faculty in June 2018. The ideal candidate will have extensive knowledge of technical operating systems, the ability to perform routine equipment repair and maintenance and knowledge of outsourcing options for major equipment repair. Knowledge of video editing software, including Adobe Premiere and Final Cut Pro are also a plus.
Candidate must have, at a minimum, an associate degree in electronic technology or equivalency, and 7 years of experience in television broadcast control room operations, as well as repair and maintenance of audio/visual equipment used in television and related mass communications fields. Experience should also include familiarity with Ross switchers and Ross expression or equivalent, LS9 Audio console or equivalent, ClearCom communications, ETC lighting controls, Fiber signal distribution, ENPS, IFB communications, and LTN live distribution. Candidates that are detail oriented, self-motivated, and able to work independently and carefully to manage multiple responsibilities with short deadlines are encouraged to apply. Strong interpersonal, communication, and organizational skills and the ability to work with diverse populations are also preferred.
Candidates are expected to oversee, coordinate and perform the technical operation and maintenance of the broadcast television facilities in the School of Journalism and Mass Communications. They will also purchase, maintain and distribute all audio/visual hardware used by students in the school.
Specific duties include:
- Serve as primary technician for two studios, remote and post production activities. Develop and maintain an equipment check out/check in system that facilitates efficient and convenient daily access for students and faculty.
- Purchase, maintain, repair and control inventory of all SJMC audio/visual equipment and operating systems, including components used for news gathering and strategic communication, broadcast studio and control room.
- Hire and supervise graduate and undergraduate students working in technical services area.
- Train students and faculty in the use and care of audio/visual equipment and operating systems.
- Serve as SJMC liaison with Office of University Technology Services.
- Coordinate engineering and maintenance operations with production and programming personnel, ensuring optimal functioning of production equipment and facilities.
The School of Journalism and Mass Communications currently enrolls approximately 1,700 undergraduates and 60 graduate students in journalism, advertising, public relations, visual communications and mass communications. The school moved to its new 55,000-square-foot facility in Fall 2015. The SJMC offers bachelor’s and master’s degrees in journalism and mass communication and a Ph.D. in mass communication, and has enjoyed consistent and sustained growth in its accomplishments in academic and professional areas.
The University of South Carolina is in South Carolina’s capital, a family-friendly city located equidistant from beautiful Atlantic beaches and the historic, rolling Blue Ridge mountains. We are an affirmative action, equal opportunity employer, committed to building a culturally diverse faculty, staff and student body. Minorities and women are encouraged to apply.
Applicants should apply here: http://uscjobs.sc.edu/postings/30393
Questions should be addressed to:
Andrea Tanner, Ph.D.
Director and Professor
School of Journalism and Mass Communications
The review of applications will begin May 14, 2018 and continue until the position is filled.
* Equal Opportunity Employer-minorities/females/veterans/individuals with disabilities/sexual orientation/gender identity.