If you’re interested in applying for our Ph.D. program at the School of Library and Information Science, here’s what you will need to provide:
- Graduate School application form and application fee. You must apply online.
- The supplemental application, which includes writing an essay responding to the statements on the application. It is available through the online application.
- Official academic transcripts from all colleges and universities - whether or not you earned a degree.
- A grade point average of at least 3.0 on a 4.0 scale.
- A combined GRE score of at least 297, with a verbal score of at least 160 or a quantitative score of at least 148.
- Three letters of recommendation. Letters should evaluate your undergraduate or graduate academic performance or your job performance. Letters from friends and relatives about your personal attributes will not be accepted. If you have questions, call the admissions coordinator at 803-777-3887 for guidance.
- An official Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) report with a minimum paper-based score of 570 or minimum internet-based score of 80 is required from applicants whose native language is not English. The IELTS is not accepted.
- Resume showing educational and professional experience.
Our students also have to be interviewed by a doctoral committee.
More details are available in our doctoral handbook (pdf).