We consider not only a student's existing skills, but also their goals and potential.
Admission to CarolinaLIFE is selective. Meeting the basic requirements does not guarantee admission into the program. In addition to submitting the required documentation, candidates interview with the CarolinaLIFE program committee and are required to participate in an on-site writing exercise. A one-hour period is scheduled for the writing exercise on the day of the interview.
- Download and complete the application form [pdf] .
- Submit all required documentation by February 1st.
- Attend a personal interview.
- Be 18-23 years old (or in last year of a public school program)
- Have a cognitive assessment with documented intellectual disability
- Have high school non-academic track diploma (certificate of achievement) or certificate of attendance
- Have the ability to learn and participate in inclusive classroom and work settings
- Demonstrate interest and desire to pursue educational, employment and life experiences through post-secondary education
- Agree to participate in a writing sample and the interview process
- Agree to participate in periodic assessments throughout program
- Provide three letters of recommendation
- Have basic academic skills (write sentences, elementary reading skills, follow directions in a group or individually)
- Be willing to participate in research activities
- Sign the Carolinian Creed
To get started
Complete and return the application packet before the February 1st deadline to:
Attn: Tony Plotner
235 Wardlaw – College of Education
820 Main Street
Columbia, SC 29208
Any materials sent directly to the university rather than our program office may delay the admission process. Applications received by our office after the deadline cannot be guaranteed for consideration, although we will keep the information on file in the event there are remaining spaces.