As we moved beyond commencement, it was time to pay tribute to faculty and staff for their many contributions to the College of Engineering and Computing. On May 8, Dean Hossein Haj-Hariri honored individuals who were nominated by their peers in their respective departments, and then selected by department chairs for the annual awards.
Congratulations to the following faculty who received recognition:
- Anthony Reynolds, mechanical engineering, received the Joseph M. Biedenbach Distinguished Service Award in recognition of at least 10 years of service. Dr. Reynolds is a professor and Frank B. Herty Bicentennial Chair in Engineering.
- Tarek Shazly, mechanical engineering, received the Samuel Litman Distinguished Professor Award in recognition of his performance and accomplishments as an educator in the college.
- Lalitha Ravi, mechanical engineering, received the Staff Distinguished Service Award to recognize her service to the college and community for at least five years.
- Jamil Khan, mechanical engineering, received the Research Achievement Award in recognition of his performance and accomplishments in research while in a teaching position with the college. Khan is a chair and professor in mechanical engineering.
- Chen Li, mechanical engineering, received the Research Progress Award in recognition of his performance and accomplishments in research while acting as an associate professor in the college.
- Addis Kidane, mechanical engineering, received the Young Investigator Research Award in recognition of performance and accomplishments as an assistant professor in research. The nomination for this award was submitted before Kidane was notified of his grant of tenure and promotion to assistant professor.
The following faculty and staff members were recognized through the State Service Awards for years of service:
- Bill Bradly, mechanical engineering
- Susan Jarvie, student services
- Steve McNeill, mechanical engineering
- Victor Giurgiutiu, mechanical engineering
- Randi Baldwin, computer science and engineering
- Lalitha Ravi, mechanical engineering
Two faculty members were acknowledged through university-wide awards:
- Kevin Huang, mechanical engineering, was awarded the Education Foundation Award for Research in Science, Mathematics and Engineering.
- Sourav Banerjee, mechanical engineering, was awarded one of four Michael J. Mungo Undergraduate Teaching Awards for his innovative and dedicated teaching.
The College of Engineering and Computing also recognized the following employees for accomplishments not included in other award categories:
- John Monnier, chemical engineering, was elected to the National Academy of Engineering (NAE), a prestigious group of researchers selected for their significant and lasting contributions to the field of engineering.
- Donna Ford was recognized for 45 years of outstanding service. She is the longest serving staff member currently at the university and working in student services for college.
We thank all faculty and staff for their hard work throughout the year!