Can I Apply?
Students who have completed no more than 45 credit hours while enrolled at an institution of higher education and have a minimum 3.6 GPA may apply for transfer admission to the Honors College. The 45 credit hour limit does not include AP and/or IB credit hours or hours earned for college courses taken while enrolled in high school.
How Do I Apply?
All students interested in transferring into the Honors College, whether from another college or university, or from the USC-Columbia campus or another regional campus within the USC system, will need to complete the Honors College application for transfer admission.
- Non-USC students will also need to apply for University admission through the USC-Columbia Admissions Office.
- Students in the USC system, but not on the Columbia campus, will need to complete a Change of Campus form available through Admissions.
- Minimum of a 3.6 GPA on a 4.0 scale on all college work attempted.
- Submission of two letters of recommendation from professors.
- Application including a written essay. (See the application form for essay topics and guidelines.)
- Transcript of college work (staff will get this directly from the registrar for transfers within the USC system).
- Reasonable chance of completing the requirements for graduating from the Honors College including a senior thesis. Graduation with honors requires 45 Honors College credit hours. Please see our online handbook [pdf] for a breakdown and more information.
There are two transfer deadlines:
Students who are in their first year of college should apply by the April 15 transfer deadline and would enter the Honors College the following fall semester.
Student who are completing the first semester of their second year should apply by the December 1 transfer deadline and would enter the Honors College the following spring semester.
In brief if you are a freshman, you should apply in April; if you are a sophomore, you should apply in December. Should the deadline fall on a weekend, applications will be due the first Monday following.
All applications will be reviewed as a group, with no preference given to applications received early.
The transfer application is not currently available. It will be available on this page two months prior to the upcoming deadline.
If you are applying from outside the University of South Carolina system, please also complete the general undergraduate application. Note that deadlines for the general admissions application differ from the Honors College application.
If you are applying from within the USC system, but not from the Columbia campus, please fill out a Change of Campus form.
Questions regarding transfer admission into the Honors College can often be answered
by reviewing our Frequently Asked Questions page. Any additional inquiries should be directed to Elise Porter, Recruiting Coordinator, at firstname.lastname@example.org.