- Investigate issues on college sport and conduct cooperative, collaborative research with affiliated faculty and universities.
- Provide opportunities for faculty to develop research activities.
- Encourage the presentation of research results to colleagues and the general public through hosting a national conference and publishing a peer-reviewed academic journal focused on issues in college sport.
In support of the institute’s mission, the College Sport Research Institute has the following Goals:
- Create public awareness of socio-cultural, economic, and political issues in college sport.
- Provide a forum for open discussion of relevant issues within the college-sport community.
- Build relationships within local, regional and national communities to generate funding for independent critical research into college sport.
- Generate local, regional, and national awareness of the College Sport Research Institute and The University of South Carolina in Columbia as a leader in college-sport research.
- Educate students, scholars, athletic administrators, college athletes, coaches, and the general public on college-sport issues.