Assistance in the research and preparation of material for attorney training and case litigation. Issues are those affecting the indigent population and range from bankruptcy, adoption, divorce, Social Security, Medicaid, landlord-tenant, consumer debt, to housing. Research on specific cases may also be available with local Legal Services offices.
Training: Individual, under the supervision of a SC licensed attorney; possible independent projects.
Purpose of Pro Bono Opportunity
- To provide opportunities for law students to work along side the attorneys and clients
- To provide skills development and career enhancement opportunities for law students
- To create an awareness of the problems and rewards of being a public interest lawyer
- To gain first hand knowledge of the legal barriers faced by the low income population
Requirements or Qualifications
Law students must:
- be in good academic standing
- complete and submit the Volunteer Enrollment Form
- have completed one year of law school
- have an interest in serving the indigent population
Responsibilities of Organizations
SC Appleseed Legal Justice Center Office must:
- agree to properly supervise the work of the law student
- provide clear and timely instructions
- seek opportunities to expose the students to various tasks
- provide feedback when possible.
Responsibilities of the Students
The students must:
- communicate effectively and efficiently with the supervising attorney
- complete tasks in a timely and competent manner
- seek assistance when needed
- perform duties professionally
- treat this volunteer opportunity as if it was a paying or for-credit position
The following Core Skills may be associated with this particular volunteer opportunity. Not all tasks will contain all of these skills. See the complete Core Competencies & Skills Inventory for more details.
- Core Skill: Oral Communication and Listening Abilities
- Core Skill: Writing Skills
- Core Skill: General Research Skills
- Core Skill: Critical Reading Abilities
- Core Skill: Task Organization and Management
- Core Skills: Professionalism