Faculty and Staff
James Fadel, Ph.D.
|Title:||Associate Professor of Pharmacology, Physiology & Neuroscience
|Department:||Integrated Biomedical Sciences
School of Medicine
Pharmacology, Physiology & Neuro
Vanderbilt University, Nashville, TN
Ohio State University, Columbus, OH.
Wheaton College, Wheaton, IL
Aging in general—and age-related neurodegenerative conditions (such as Alzheimer’s disease) in particular—is associated with changes in cognitive and homeostatic function. We are interested in how brain regions and neuropeptides important for arousal and homeostasis (such as the hypothalamic orexin/hypocretin system) regulate the activity of the basal forebrain cholinergic system, which is classically associated with age-related cognitive decline. We combine anatomical, neurochemical, molecular and behavioral approaches to understand how these systems interact and how they change with aging. In addition, we use these same tools in collaboration with colleagues to study the neural underpinnings of stress and anxiety.
- Fadel, J. and Burk, J.A. (2010) Orexin/hypocretin modulation of the basal forebrain cholinergic system: role in attention. Brain Research 1314:112-123.
- Fadel, J. (2011) Regulation of cortical acetylcholine release: insights from in vivo microdialysis studies. Behavioural Brain Research, 221:527-536.
- Kessler, B.K., Stanley, E.M., Frederick-Duus, D. and Fadel, J. (2011) Age-related loss of orexin/hypocretin neurons. Neuroscience, 178:82-88.
- Stanley, E.M., Fadel, J.R. and Mott, D.D. (2012). Interneuron loss reduces dendritic inhibition and GABA capacity in hippocampus of aged rats. Neurobiology of Aging, 33:431.e1-431.e13.
- Stanley, E.M., Wilson, M.A. and Fadel, J (2012). Hippocampal neurotransmitter efflux during one-trial novel object recognition in rats. Neuroscience Letters, 511:38-42.
- Fadel, JR, Jolivalt, CG and Reagan, L. (2013). Food for thought: the role of appetitive peptides in age-related cognitive decline. Ageing Research Reviews 12:764-776.
- Zajo KN, Fadel JR, Burk JA (2016) Orexin A-induced enhancement of attentional processing in rats: role of basal forebrain neurons. Psychopharmacology 233(4):639-47 .
- Fadel JR, Reagan LP (2016) Stop signs in hippocampal insulin signaling: the role of insulin resistance in structural, functional and behavioral deficits. Current Opinion in Behavioral Sciences 9:47-54.
- Wilson M and Fadel JR. (2017) Cholinergic regulation of fear learning and extinction. Journal of Neuroscience Research. 95:836-852..
- Hagar JM, Macht VA, Wilson SP and Fadel JR (2017) Upregulation of orexin/hypocretin expression in aged rats: effects on feeding latency and neurotransmission in the insular cortex. Neuroscience. 350:124-132.
Primary teaching responsibilities:
- Medical Neuroscience (Course Director)
- Fundamental Neuroscience I and II (Course Faculty)