A Challenging and Rewarding Career Choice
The risk management and insurance major aims to produce graduates with analytical and qualitative decision-making skills that allow them to make rational, objective decisions under uncertainty. Therefore, we provide students with frameworks, models, analytical skills and a holistic, enterprise-wide perspective of risk. These concepts are applied and illustrated using the insurance industry, for which risk management is fundamental.
Risk management is a growing field as companies face more — and more varied — challenges around the globe. Organizations of all kinds are placing greater emphasis on identifying and managing risk and creating demand for risk managers across a wide range of industry sectors.
Increasingly, many organizations are taking a proactive and holistic approach to risk that considers a wide range of risks, including price volatility, cyber security, reputation damage, natural disasters and pandemics. This approach, known as enterprise risk management, requires creative, strategic thinking. The Moore School’s risk management faculty take an enterprise risk management approach in their own scholarship and are committed to training students in this approach as well.
The risk management and insurance major:
- Teaches disciplined methods for making decisions under uncertainty.
- Provides a broad framework for evaluating all types of risk.
- Introduces risk management as a rational method for identifying and treating all types of risk.
- Emphasizes risk assessment as core element of business literacy.
- Examines risk transfer markets, including both insurance markets and derivative markets.
- Applies concepts from finance, probability and statistics to measure risk and to make better risk decisions.
- Engages students in the discussion of key public policy issues involving risk.
- Deepens appreciation of the difficult trade-offs that are required to resolve public policy issues.
- Positions risk management as a powerful methodology.
- Illustrates the power of language, tools and concepts to manage in a complex world.
- Challenges students to develop their ability to think critically.
There are a number of insurance scholarships available for undergraduate students majoring in risk management and insurance and in actuarial mathematics. The scholarship application deadline for the 2017-18 academic year has past and the application for the 2018-19 will be uploaded in January 2018.
Careers in Risk Management and Insurance
Graduates with degrees in risk management and insurance are employed as:
- Underwriters in life, health or property and casualty insurance industries.
- Insurance brokers.
- Investment analysts.
- Risk managers for insurance companies and multinational corporations.
- Marketing representatives for companies in life, health or property and casualty insurance industries.
Risk management and insurance majors are employed as insurance brokers, investment analysts and risk managers and as underwriters in the life, health or property and casualty insurance industries.
Companies that hire Moore School risk management and insurance majors include Accenture, AIG, AllRisks, Amica, Bank of America, Blue Cross Blue Shield, Chubb, Citigroup Inc., CAN, Colonial Life, GE Capital, Freddie Mac, Geico, Liberty Mutual Group, Markel, Metropolitan Life Insurance Company, Morgan Stanley, Principal Financial Group, PricewaterhouseCoopers, Standard and Poor’s, State Farm Insurance, SunTrust, Time Warner and Wells Fargo.
The risk management and insurance major is a good fit for people who:
- Are good at problem-solving.
- Want to be good at making decisions when there is uncertainty about the outcome.
- Enjoy working collaboratively with people across a range of functional areas.