The University of South Carolina “Mighty Sound of the Southeast” Marching Band Feature Twirler’s have a long-standing tradition of excellence at Carolina that continues to flourish today. Feature Twirlers at South Carolina receive a scholarship pending acceptance into a degree program at USC and are eligible for a significant out-of-state tuition reduction. The Carolina Band fields between one and three Feature Twirlers each season.
In a typical season, applications are due (postmarked) by December 1 for consideration for the following season. Finalists will be selected by mid-January and invited for on-campus auditions in early March. Some of the essential skills required by applicants for feature twirler include the ability to do a double illusion, 3 or more spins, a variety of rolls, well-developed multiple baton skills, and flexibility. Gymnastic skills will be considered, but are not required.
Applications for the Feature Twirler position must contain:
- A cover letter stating your intent and reasons for applying
- A current resume listing academic and twirling accomplishments, etc. Be sure to include contact information including phone number and email address for the applicant.
- A color full-length photo of the applicant in full competition/performance costume
- A video highlighting your abilities to include competition and marching band footage if available
The video should include examples of the following:
- Competition performances (in costume)
- On the field performances (if available)
- Pep rally performances (if available)
- 1, 2, and 3 baton skills
- Gymnastic skills (optional)
Note: A YouTube link or other online media is acceptable for the video.
Any other optional materials you wish to send that highlight your qualifications such as letter(s) of recommendation will be considered.
2016 Feature Twirlers
We are proud to announce that all three 2015 feature twirlers will be returning to the Carolina Band in 2016. The Carolina Band has no openings for feature twirlers for the 2016 season, and will not be holding auditions this spring. If you are able, we hope you will consider applying in the future.