Our entrepreneurial initiatives emphasize:
- Developing revenue generating arts-based businesses.
- Developing meaningful arts-based legacy projects.
- Developing leaders to work within established arts organizations.
- Increasing impact of the arts at USC, locally, regionally and nationally.
- Establishing USC as a leading music school in arts entrepreneurship.
- Designing a model for entrepreneurial education that transfers to other disciplines.
- Teaching business, marketing and leadership skills.
- Partnering with the business community.
- Stimulating economic development in Columbia and South Carolina.
A variety of classes addressing entrepreneurial topics for musicians are available through the School of Music and School of Business.
The Proving Ground offers $40,000 in cash prizes to USC entrepreneurial projects. We are working to add a new category specifically for arts-based initiatives. There are also cash prizes awarded in the Entrepreneurship in Music class.
USC was the first music school to hire a full-time faculty member in the area of music entrepreneurship. We are now one of just two programs to maintain that distinction.
We are developing entrepreneurial classes and extra-curricular programs that place musicians with business students and artists of different disciplines.
The Spark Library Collection features numerous titles related to entrepreneurship and business.
Mentoring and advising
Individual and group advising for entrepreneurial projects is available through Spark.
Music entrepreneurship minor
USC was the first music school to offer a minor in music entrepreneurship.
We maintain partnerships to increase impact on music students and the local economy.
Faber Entrepreneurship Center has opened their doors to the music community for many of its programs.
Our speaker series regularly features presentations related to entrepreneurship.