The Savvy Musician in ACTION is about both music and entrepreneurship. To emphasize this dual goal, our Chamber Ensemble Competition seeks a group featuring artistic excellence and innovative event design.
- Chamber ensembles of two to six musicians may apply
- All instrumentations welcome, including voice
- Student and professional groups may apply
- Judging criteria includes 1) artistic excellence and 2) innovative event design
- “Innovative event design” means anything that expands beyond the musical-only concert format: multi-media, choreography, audience engagement, lighting, costuming, theatrical elements, unusual performance practice, props or other innovations.
To apply, submit a 10-minute recording and completed application.
The winning group is awarded a full tuition scholarshipto The Savvy Musician in ACTION, $500 stipend, 40-minute public performance (June 5), and pre-conference clinic focused on professional development for chamber ensembles (June 4).
We will also select up to two runners-up who receive a partial tuition scholarship to The Savvy Musician in ACTION, 30-minute public performance (June 5), and pre-conference clinic focused on professional development for chamber ensembles.
To receive an award, the entire group must agree to attend the full workshop. The winning groups will be contacted via email, and have a limited amount of time to accept. Winners will be notified by April 15, 2014.
If no appropriate group is identified, we have the right to forego this initiative.
Application packets must be postmarked by March 15, 2014. Send a CD recording (clearly labeled, around 10-minutes of music performed by the ensemble) and completed application to:
The Savvy Musician in ACTION
Chamber Music Competition
University of South Carolina School of Music
813 Assembly St., Columbia, SC 29208