June 3–7, 2015
This summer, invest in YOUR success
• How can you maximize income while pursuing work you love?
• What are the keys to increasing demand for your work?
• Which business-oriented tools must you master to thrive?
• Who are the new winners in the 21st century paradigm?
• How can we keep the arts relevant in today’s complex and ever-changing landscape?
These questions lie at the heart of The Savvy Musician in ACTION.
What you’ll experience
The Savvy Musician in ACTION is an intensive, experiential laboratory designed to help participants generate more income and impact. Attendees pitch arts-based business ideas, vote on favorites, form teams, design a venture from the ground up and compete for awards.
Learning opportunities include games, mini-lectures, training sessions, peer-teaching, mentorship, an “expert expo,” field research, prototyping, reflection sessions, a competition and more. Along the way, teams complete a number of assignments that examine innovation strategies, business models, competitive research, finance, marketing and social media, allowing participants to develop transferrable skills directly applicable to their own careers and environments.
In just one week, transform your life and career!
What makes this experience different, amazing and invaluable?
• YOUR success. This is the world’s premier event devoted to helping artists achieve greater professional success. Participants learn to wield a variety of entrepreneurial power tools directly applicable to their life and career.
• 100% experiential. Our model is hands-on and experiential, where participants learn by doing.
• Collaboration and networking. Working on teams, attendees cultivate essential collaboration skills while growing their networks.
• Spectacular participants. Simply said, our participants rock! We work hard to attract a community of diverse, smart, creative, open-minded, amazing people.
• All-star faculty. Our world-class “Thought Leaders” have changed the world and built spectacular careers in the process. Where else can you work side-by-side with this caliber of mentor to focus on your success?
• Interdisciplinary arts education. All major art forms (music, dance, theatre, visual arts, media arts) are used to teach lessons on creativity, teamwork, business and success.
• Fierce competition. We conclude with the Arts Venture Challenge, a Shark Tank-like competition where teams pitch arts-business concepts to judges for feedback and awards.
• Unapologetic innovation. We focus on developing fresh solutions for our quickly changing world.
• Great Southern Cuisine. Tuition includes most meals, providing a truly delicious Southern food experience. Not big on meat? No problem – vegetarian selections are always available.
• Fun! Everyone works hard, but we have a ton of good times along the way!
Top 10 reasons you can’t afford to skip The Savvy Musician in ACTION
10. If you think you can’t afford it, you definitely need to be here!
9. The investment quickly pays itself off – our focus is helping you earn more.
8. Scholarships available.
7. Musicians routinely spend thousands of dollars attending camps that are wonderful, but do little to help them succeed professionally. For a fraction of the price, we teach you to thrive.
6. The “Most Valuable Participant” gets a $200 award!
5. Money compounds over time. The longer you wait to solve your career, the less time you have to help it grow.
4. Where else can you develop profitable arts ventures with a team of peers from across the globe?
3. Our faculty typically charges hundreds of dollars per hour to work as career/business mentors. Here, you have unlimited access for a week!
2. Winners of the Arts Venture Challenge are awarded valuable prizes.
1. If you want to become a great musician, practice. If you want to have a thriving career, learn about business and become an entrepreneur. We can help!
We work hard to attract a dynamic and diverse community, believing that this leads to the richest dialogue and most innovative solutions. Since 2013, we have engaged participants from 30 states and 5 countries, aged 20-65, representing these profiles:
• Aspiring/established performers (spanning many genres)
• Music students
• Music faculty/administrators
• Music business/entrepreneurship teachers
• Independent music teachers
• Arts educators
• Music industry workers
• Other performing artists (particularly from the worlds of dance and theatre)
• Arts administrators
• Budding arts entrepreneurs
• People who want to change the world through the arts
• Multi-talents (representing several of these categories)
Our 2015 all-star faculty
David Cutler, pianist/composer/author, The Savvy Musician
Adam Huttler, founder/executive director, Fractured Atlas
Greg Sandow, Arts Journal blogger on the Future of Classical Music
Dave Kusek, founder, Berklee Online; author, The Future of Music
Bobby Owsinski, author, Social Media Promotion for Musicians and 23 other books
Anna Schaum, sociometrist
Nancy Christensen, artist manager; founder and president, Christensen Arts, LLC
Michael Harley, bassoonist, Alarm Will Sound
Tayloe Harding, dean, USC School of Music
In addition, The Savvy Musician in ACTION experience involves experts, judges, and VIPs involved with the arts, entrepreneurship and economic development.
What if I don’t have business background? Wonderful! The Savvy Musician in ACTION is designed for musicians, not MBAs. We speak your language and present concepts in a user-friendly manner. If you have no or little prior business background, be forewarned – you will learn!
What if I have substantial business background? Outstanding! Because The Savvy Musician in ACTION requires teams to build a new business, any and all experiences you bring to the table are invaluable assets.